Storage of wall clock tonight

Hweck1

I am have just taken down my antique school wall clock. There are a lot of kids in my house tonight, and I don’t want it to get damaged. I took the pendulum out and gently placed it upright in a safe place. Did I move it correctly? Also, it is still ticking but obviously not chiiming with no pendulum. Is it ok that it is still ticking and that I didn't put the pendulum back? Thanks for your help

Hi Hweck1, welcome to the forum. it's customary to introduce yourself first just so we get a bit of background and generally, with any query pictures are always a great help just so we know what we're looking. That said, you were correct to remove the pendulum before moving as this can damage the movement if left in. The clock will often keep ticking without a pendulum in it (It's a good sign the unit is in good order) but it won't keep good time. just reverse the process when you put it back and you should be fine.

Removing the pendulum is the correct thing to do as this will keep the suspension spring from getting broken or twisting out of shape. If the movement is still ticking then I suggest putting paper or tissue paper between the back plate and the pendulum crutch.  What you have described is known as tripping and if left for a long time can cause wear to the escape wheel teeth and the faces of the pallets.  

• Like 2

Moving a clock without removing the pendulum can cause damage. Recently I was asked to look at a french clock that was running erratically and stopping. I thought initially it was just out of beat but what had happened it had been moved without removing the pendulum and the suspension spring had split. A simple repair for sure and a lesson learnt for the customer.