4 minutes ago, Gramham said:

Aaaak!  Too late!   🙂

(I actually bought this blue silicone mat years ago for working on microelectronics, and I absolutely hate its color, feel, dimensions, etc.  However, it does not smell bad).

I've seen various types of materials quoted (Formica, vinyl flooring, green cutting mats, fancy drafting table materials).  I suppose the perfect watchmaking mat should have minimal "dead bounce" but not be so hard as to be uncomfortable as a long-term hand rest.  Paper is no good (fibres), silicone is no good (bounce)...so what is?

I see that people tend to like the 2mm thickness as well, and some have expressed a preference for 2-ply construction with some kind of anti-slip on the back and a more yielding, non-fibrous, cleanable top surface.

Assuming the ideal mat is

- 2mm thick
- 2-ply w/
  - non-slip bottom
  - M top material
- Dimensions of L x W

@Kalanag- what would be your ideal dimensions and material?  Is neoprene no good?

What would be your best advice regarding M, L and W?

g.
----

Watchmaking-Bench-Image-2022-07-24_09-57-19.jpg

I have silicone for electronics only. See my post above for my material and dimensions

• Like 1

I also think that PU as a top layer is good. I tend to recommend the Bergeon mat with 2mm thickness as an alternative. It seems not to be that overpriced as the other items of this brand. The quality is decent and the Bergeon imprint gives you the feeling of being a true professional 🙃

Edited by Kalanag
  • Like 2

On 4/21/2022 at 3:02 AM, LittleWatchShop said:

Here is what I use.  Bought one...liked it.  Bought another...still liked it.  I have four.  One on each bench.

Posting a picture because the link will not live forever.

Specifications:
Materials:PU Leather
Color:Brown-Grey
Size:32” x 16”x 0.8"

2022-04-20 14_01_28-Desk Pad Thin Waterproof PU Leather Mouse Pad Dual Use Desk Writing PC Mat Brown.png

Hello @LittleWatchShop

Is this the posting you were referring to when you said "see above" in response to my post?

If you could have *any* size of bench mat, are these still the dimensions you would go for?

Thanks,

g.
----

2 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Just get yourself some green blotting paper cut it to what ever size you want and cover it with glass. to stop it from moving tack some beading around it. That is what I did. 

Hello @oldhippy,

Your method sounds wonderful, but due to space constraints I am going to have a "drop leaf" work surface for the next little while (until I convince wifey that the watchmaking is "for real") so I am not sure about the glass on paper solution.

Thanks anyways though!

g.

----

Edited by Gramham

What I use is the self healing cutting mats used by hobbists, they are green ans sodt enough to press tour tweezers inti when picking up springs etc and if you dont like the yellow lines they clean off using white spirit leaving you with a clean green mat with a pleasing colour and almost bounce free at a fairly low cost (depending on size). I have used this for some time its still good and easy to clean. 

Pictures of the cutting mat various sizes  and for the price very good.

cutting mat.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gramham said:

Is this the posting you were referring to when you said "see above" in response to my post?

If you could have *any* size of bench mat, are these still the dimensions you would go for?

Yes

If would prefer a bigger size to cover my entire bench, but happy as is

• Like 1

5 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Just get yourself some green blotting paper cut it to what ever size you want and cover it with glass.

Glass is very bouncy when tiny screws and jewels drop. The surface should have some damping give.

17 hours ago, Kalanag said:

Mike from myretrowatches.co.uk wore this t-shirt in his recent video.

If anyone might be interested in buying one:

https://my-retro-watches.creator-spring.com/listing/new-watchmakers-life?product=373

Cool t -shirt and very true.  Such a shame about Mike 's condition, he's a lovely genuine guy. The first YouTube repairer i watched when I started. Bless him and hopes he makes a full recovery.

58 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Cool t -shirt and very true.  Such a shame about Mike 's condition, he's a lovely genuine guy. The first YouTube repairer i watched when I started. Bless him and hopes he makes a full recovery.

Completely off topic here Kalanag but I just thought I'd grab your attention while you are buzzing around. Do you have any experience with plating watches ?

1 hour ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Completely off topic here Kalanag but I just thought I'd grab your attention while you are buzzing around. Do you have any experience with plating watches ?

Ah ha and Gert just the man I would like to speak to. Good morning matey, howw youu doin ? 😉

• Like 2

• Mark unpinned this topic
  • Mark pinned, unpinned and featured this topic