Cousins sell an antistatic bench mat with the label A*F Switzerland. It consists of two layers the upper green and lower white. Between the two is a space that in the sample that I purchased contained some air. If it was made in Switzerland there would be less of a problem, but it was probably made at sea level, perhaps the South China Sea? At our altitude of 720 m it inflated like a flat balloon. The solution was simple, just a hole in the lower white skin. Anyone tempted to buy this 'Swiss' version and living at high altitude, for example Denver, should note this fix. Or try the cheaper Cousins model.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I've struggled with this one, the cousins self adhesive ones are hit and miss, sometimes they're okay, but I've effectively had to replace one as soon as it arrived once, the bergeon self adhesive ones are probably one of the the best, but I just can't justify spending that much on a plastic mat. (I mean it really is insanity) The AF Swiss ones, you can't get these as self adhesive, so these have a padding underneath that grips the work bench, but they are a nightmare because they're made poorly (believe it or not) because it's quite literally impossible to get them to sit flat. 

Edited by Ishima

You can always go really cheap, a sheet of A3 or A4 paper and replace it every job. The small raised table that sits on top of my workbench was designed to take a sheet of A4 and has worked well for years. White works fine. The only reason I have Bergeon mat fitted on it just now is that I was given it.

You can always go really cheap, a sheet of A3 or A4 paper and replace it every job. The small raised table that sits on top of my workbench was designed to take a sheet of A4 and has worked well for years. White works fine. The only reason I have Bergeon mat fitted on it just now is that I was given it.

Same here. Sheet of paper at first, light green Bergeon mat now.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I used to yearn for a black bench mat with side walls but no one makes those anymore. I have been using a cheap mat  but it is too hard and things that bounce and hide do a great job on this mat. I was thinking about the Bergeon 7808 in classic green but now I see so many variations including ridged mats. I don't want an adhesive back since I move from my real bench to the computer bench quite often.

Recommendations?

I recently picked up two of these;

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011R32JKM/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_H2XUwb3HPC3SH

They are sold as a hi temp silicone baking mat but work quite well as a bench mat. Parts are easy to see and don't roll or bounce away easily. They are available in various sizes and colors for reasonable money. Seem to wipe clean without much trouble, and can be rolled up for storage when not in use. I am very happy with how it has worked for me, but maybe I just don't know any better since I never had a purpose-made bench mat for watch repair.

d506400ac95a4c4613f62df3d4514817.jpg

Edited by steve855
  • Like 1

picked up two of these...

I suppose you can always use double sided tape to affix it to the bench/table if it is not staying properly in place...the price can't be beat if it performs well. The different versions from Horotec, Bergeon and Chinese range between US$12 and US$45, the cheaper are either non anti skip or peel the back for permanent (glue) attachment...color will also make the price vary.