Watchmaker meets auto mechanic!! Case back removal...

I haven't yet had to do that (*crosses fingers*) since I got one of these:

https://www.esslinger.com/watch-opener-brass-handle-case-opener-square-pins/

It doesn't engage with ALL screwbacks, but so far the only ones I've had that were badly stuck have been the kind I could use this upon.  (Now I've gone and jinxed myself.)  I just put the holder in a vice and take the time to make sure the pins are well-seated into the slots, then turn.  Lots of leverage.  Somebody on this forum told me about this kind of opener, but I can't recall who.  They are somewhat difficult to use correctly, in that they can wobble off the back if you don't maintain a very firm grip.  You must clench your wrist tight, and turn straight, on a horizontal plain with the watch back.  If you do it exactly right, it can take off the toughest watch backs.  Kind of like a breaker bar for watches.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, KarlvonKoln said:

I got one of these

I have seen these, but I worry about slipping and scratching the back.  But if you develop the skill, I am sure it can work.

The "nut" method is pretty much error free.  Virtually zero possibility of damaging the back.  Once the back is removed, the nut is removed with a heat gun and then the glue is removed with acetone.  I think, once before, I just dunked the nut and back into acetone for a day and it separated...cannot remember for sure.  I did not invent this technique...somebody on this forum posted about it.