Crystal part no

Dan75

Hi I’ve been trying to find the correct replacement glass part no for my omega speedmaster 2006 Torino winter Olympic watch.I’m looking on cousins Uk and entering my case no but it’s not recognised just wondering if I’m going wrong somewhere.Any help would be much appreciated thanks Dan

91D4DF3B-661A-420F-9721-0DEF9BE8C454.jpeg

1 hour ago, Dan75 said:

I’m looking on cousins Uk and entering my case no but it’s not recognised. 

Omega like most other Swiss manufacturers does not sell parts outside their own official service centers. 

Cousins may have Omega parts as old stock, compatible or otherwise obtained, but when they don't have something it ends there. 

So if you want an original Omega crystal, with central logo and all, your only choice might be to give the watch to an official service center for an estimate. Otherwise give it to a watchmaker that will measure it and fit an equivakent one, however that will devalue the watch. 

19 minutes ago, Dan75 said:

I probably will be taking it to  a watch repairer. 

You wil have to do that anyway because for removal and refitting a crystal press is needed, and good ones are expensive. Below our pinned topic on the subject. 

50 minutes ago, Dan75 said:

Hi the case numbers 59540112 thanks

In order to find parts with the case number you actually have to have the case number. The case number is typically found on the back inside not on the outside.

The number on the outside is usually the serial number. Serial numbers are really useful if you had Omega/Swatch group access as you could enter the serial number and come up with a parts list. But just because you could get a parts list doesn't mean you can get the part.  This is because people who have Omega/Swatch group access typically have it at different levels of access some levels you can get a parts list but you can't order parts. You cannot even look at the Omega technical documentation unless you have the right access level.

7 hours ago, Dan75 said:

generic replacement

If you looking for a generic replacement just pop it out measure it and get a replacement. Oh and I don't suppose this is Sapphire?

Hi thanks for the detailed explanation,it is a sapphire crystal.I’ve looked at the glass under a magnifying glass and can’t see any logo etched on the glass.I was hoping to try and source the glass before stripping it down thanks again for your reply

Welcome to the forum!  Glad you found us.  If you have a press, or know someone who does have, a crystal is a very simple thing to replace.  A bit of polish to the case as well, and it can look like new!  Omegas are awesome watches.  Is there anything else wrong with it about which you seek advice?

Hi I’m planning on getting an half decent press to have a go myself I’ve been watching a couple of how to vids on u tube.I’ve owned the watch since new it’s going to need a service while it’s open.Hoping I’ll be able to have a go if it’s not too difficult .

29 minutes ago, Dan75 said:

it’s going to need a service while it’s open.Hoping I’ll be able to have a go if it’s not too difficult .

Servicing a chronometer movement is indeed difficult and out of question for a complete beginner. Videos by professionals make everything look easy but the reality is that an average adult would need at leat one year of practice working some hours every day to get yo the point where one has enough dexterity, no stress, and understand how exactly all that works. That besides the tools and materials needed that are no small deal either. 

For a proof of that try first to take apart and put back a mov.t ho f no value which works, quartz or mechanical. See if it will still run with no parts lost or broken. 

Unfortunately there are no shortcuts in learning watchmaking, below the pinned topic about which movements are recommended to beginners. 

Sounds like I’ll just be having a go at the crystal.The watch keeps good time,it’s been in its box since I cracked the crystal a couple of years ago,I decided it was time to try and sort it out.I’m scared to find out how much it would cost me at an omega repairer.

1 hour ago, Dan75 said:

I’m scared to find out how much it would cost me at an omega repairer.

Perhaps you should think in terms of relation to value, as luxury doesn't come cheap. Checking Chrono24 the asking price for a watch like your is about 2,700 EUR. If you like to wear it, servicing is necessary to prevent wear and damage.

Two data points which can be useful are the listed service cost by Omega, 690 Euro https://www.omegawatches.com/customer-service/interventions-and-prices/price-information

And what a reputable watchmaker charges, 280 GBP https://watchguy.co.uk/price-list/

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dan75 said:

Would you have any idea how much omega would charge for the new crystal on top of the service charge?

I don't know but surely not little. Estimates should be free however.

10 minutes ago, Dan75 said:

And would you recommend omega service or reputable repairer?

Like practically everyone else here, my recommendation is to give your business to independant watchmakers whenever possible.

2 hours ago, Dan75 said:

I’m scared to find out how much it would cost me at an omega repairer.

Scarier is to see your watch ruined( its a Gem) , servicing a good grade chronograph complication is a job for a master repairman, shouldn't run unserviced either.  

Regs

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Dan75 said:

Hi just to add to this my watch case numbers 175.0048,would the replacement part no be pw 5274 thanks.

So you will not have an official Omega service center to work on you watch after all?

Indeed a reputable independent watchmaker will have no problem in fitting the correct crystal and service your watch.

Let us know how you will have this sorted out.

On 12/27/2021 at 12:38 PM, jdm said:

at leat one year of practice working some hours every day to get yo the point where one has enough dexterity, no stress, and understand how exactly all that works.

Indeed.  I have been practicing throughout 2021 and will continue in 2022.  My goal is to feel confident to fix my Val 726 by the end of 2022.  But, I am patient...maybe 2023.