Help needed with a Seiko V158a-0ado

eckky

Hello again ,

just got a Seiko V158A with the day and date function . Broken glass so fitted a new one. Had trouble getting the crown and stem out but it came eventually.  

I may have bu**ered it up by changing the date and day in the forbidden hours between 9 and 3.  Now the date and day function cannot be adjusted the quick way ,ie pull crown until first click then anticlock or clockwise to set day or date. Now nothing happens on first click . The second click position still works to set the time  

Is it fixable and how easy for a complete amateur to fix.? 

1 hour ago, eckky said:

I may have bu**ered it up by changing the date and day in the forbidden hours between 9 and 3.

I don't thinks so. Seiko like other manufacturers have a protection that allow calendar quick set at any hours. That is done with the fingers of the day/date wheel being flexible, see picture.

0802_890__28852.1580778406.thumb.jpg.39a0384d340f84261d6049de32a61d8e.jpg

If one tries to set the calendar while the finger is pushing a teeth of the date ring or day disc, it bends back and nothing breaks. However, for whatever reason, the user manual still warns against setting the day or date around midnight.

That being said, the quick setting wheel itself (not pictured) is fragile, and most likely it has broken somehow.

1 hour ago, eckky said:

how easy for a complete amateur to fix.? 

Some people finds that easy, some strugge. But everyone needs parts to repair. 
If you care about this watch leave it alone for now while you practice on something else of no value. See below for recommendations. Also, if one is serious about learning proper watchmaking, the best way is to engage in the training offered by our Host Mark Lovick at watchfix.com

4 hours ago, eckky said:

Is it fixable and how easy for a complete amateur to fix.? 

Fixable depends upon what you did to it?

4 hours ago, eckky said:

Had trouble getting the crown and stem out but it came eventually.  

This is problematic? Shouldn't have been a problem to get it out and if you pull too hard you might have damaged or relocated things in the places where they're not supposed to be.

Then this looks like a solar watch? It adds in some additional challenges definitely not a beginner's watch if you are thinking of disassembling it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all , 

sorry about the delay in replying. 

Using the PDF instructions watchweasol (thanks) posted I found the problem with the seiko solar v158a. The second intermediate wheel for date setting had been forced off its axle(?) and shifted slightly to the side and the date dial guard had a slight twist. 

I found it quite easy to strip down to that level and rebuild but didn't go into the geartrain area. A lot is plastic clips that a beginner can easily follow.

Its now working but I will keep shifting the date/day to see how long it will hold.

No photos as I dont have any means of taking photos clear/sharp enough for now