Another new member looking for a new hobby

Rhobin

Hi,

I'm based in a small town in British Columbia.

I stumbled across some watch repair videos on YouTube which caught my attention. I always got in trouble dismantling watches when I was a kid, as once they were apart, I couldn't put them back together. 

Now I'm older, fatter and have less hair, I want to have another go at learning about watches but this time it will be a personal choice to go to my room to think about what I've done.

I've bought some initial equipment, signed up to Mark's on-line lessons, and after abusing my shiny 6497 clone movement, I have renewed respect for the skills and patience needed.

Luckily for any watches that have half a chance of running that are within the reach of my tools of torture, I've managed to buy a lot of scrap movements in different states of disrepair, which I hope to improve my basic skills before attempting any ‘repair or maintenance’ work.

Cheers,

Robin

Welcome to the forum As JohnR always advocates, sort through the watches and find on that works before you start, that way if you goof it up you know that you did it. Starting with a broken one gives you only dis assembly /reassembly practice and if it doesnt start working  when you finish you dont kow if its somthing you did or if it was irrepreably damaged in the first place. So start with one that at least ticks or tries to. Attached are a couple of documents to help you along.        cheers

1612608791_ToolsfortheHobbyist (2) (1).pdf TZIllustratedGlossary.pdf

• Thanks 1