Hi John  A wipe down of the post with oil/light grease is a good idea to keep the motor slide free. Making the wavebreaksrs/baffles sounds like there will be a raid on the kitchen utensil front.  They are usually fitted to the lid under the motor so when the motor is inserted into the jar the breakers are also inserted and the lid seals the jar to avoid spillage when in use.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JohnC said:

A follow up question. Does anyone know whether the motor bearings need oiling on these? I have looked through this thread and I have not seen any mention of it. Thanks. 

I had an old one something like yours that I used for very dirty bits and pieces and I never had to do any maintenance, I used it for nearly 30 years and it was very old when I stated.  Don't know if that helps or puts your mind at rest.  

• Thanks 1

On 10/4/2021 at 2:43 PM, JohnC said:

A stopgap solution made from an old aluminum pie dish. I think I will try to make some as @nickelsilver
suggests, using wire. Thanks guys 👍

IMG_20211004_094245531.jpg

Be careful with aluminium and ammoniated fluids - I had an issue once when cleaning clock parts in an aluminium tray and it left deposits on some of the parts. Almost like electrolysis. 

• Like 2

Aluminium is quite reactive in some situations. In combination with acids or alkalis, I suspect it may cause some interesting side reactions with the zinc or other metals in brass or bronzes. 

This can be turned to your advantage if you want to clean silver, as a solution of baking soda coupled with some aluminium foil will remove tarnish.

I haven't tried this on silvered dials, as there may be some other effects, but I may add it to my list of experiments.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello guys.  I have a L&R watch cleaning machine that works but the speed control rheostat knob doesn't work well.  Does anyone know of a replacement part for this?  or a good substitute?  I found one by Allied a RHS25RE.  It's a 1 amp 25 Ohm and good to 550 volts.  I know the Master machines are 115 volt at 75 cycles.  Would this work?

I would like to get my machine back up and running again.

5 hours ago, SonnyBurnett said:

the speed control rheostat knob doesn't work well.  Does anyone know of a replacement part for this?

Normally, especially on conservative restorations, these are cleaned . You can drop it in e.g. Isopropil alcohol, then blow compressed air into it 

11 hours ago, SonnyBurnett said:

Does anyone know of a replacement part for this? 

Just like in watch repair a general description of I have a watch and it needs a part just doesn't cut it. We would really need to see what the original part looks like and its characteristics like numbers it has on it then we can pick a replacement because conceivably it's not the only one in the universe they ever used and I seriously doubt most people even have a clue of what that uses unless they ever replace there's providing they even have one.

11 hours ago, SonnyBurnett said:

RHS25RE

Then for all of us that don't grasp what that is by just the part number I have a picture and it looks expensive. Now that I can see what it is I think the cleaning device up above is good. 

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/ohmite/RHS25RE/824061

12 hours ago, jdm said:

Normally, especially on conservative restorations, these are cleaned . You can drop it in e.g. Isopropil alcohol, then blow compressed air into it 

Well I'd have to un-solder  to take it out, so if I'm going to do that, I'm going to replace it, especially since the brass band around the stem has broken loose.

6 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

Just like in watch repair a general description of I have a watch and it needs a part just doesn't cut it. We would really need to see what the original part looks like and its characteristics like numbers it has on it then we can pick a replacement because conceivably it's not the only one in the universe they ever used and I seriously doubt most people even have a clue of what that uses unless they ever replace there's providing they even have one.

Well, it's an L&R precision cleaning machine Master model.  The speed control rheostat is the knob in the very front that controls the speed of the motor.  I have it apart at work, I'll take some pics of it but it doesn't have any numbers on it that I remember seeing.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

If it is a wire wound rheostat, you don't have to replace it. Just spray it with contact cleaner and work the knob a few times to grind away the oxide layer on the wire coils and it will be fine.

Correct. I was one of these "take everything apart" guys, now with age better wisdom is growing.

Back in the old days when you did not have a clicker to change channels on your TV, there was a rotating mechanical channel selector to perform this task (and back then, the reason people bore children was so that they could order them to get off the couch and change the channel!!)  The contacts would oxidize and result in intermittent continuity.  They sold "Tuner Cleaner" spray that you sprayed on the contacts as you spun the channel selector.  I cleaned a lot of tuners during my years as a TV tech.

Yes, I agree that a wire-wound rheostat should work perfectly fine after spraying with contact cleaner spray.  There is, of course, the possibility that the wiper is mechanically compromised...in which case cleaner will not solve the problem.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2021 at 7:19 PM, HectorLooi said:

If it is a wire wound rheostat, you don't have to replace it. Just spray it with contact cleaner and work the knob a few times to grind away the oxide layer on the wire coils and it will be fine.

Here is the Rheostat.  I can get the machine at work if more pics are needed. I'm an electrician for a hospital so I have it at work for the repair.  There seems to be a brass ribbon soldered to the wiper that is wrapped around the shaft.  You can't see it well in these pics.  I was concerned about creating a short if it touches the wire.

I haven't tried cleaning it yet and I won't mess with it until I solder on a new cord.  All the old rubber insulation has vulcanized and falls off if you breathe near it.

20211122_145918.jpg

20211122_145931.jpg

20211122_145936.jpg

20211122_145937.jpg

20211122_145943.jpg

Edited by SonnyBurnett