It's about time I joined.

100amps

Hi all. I'm in western Canada. A year ago I found myself unceremoniously semi-retired before I really planned to be. Thanks Covid. Semi-retired = unemployed in your early 60s.

So I started watching Mark's videos, then Retro Mike's videos and got really interested in watchmaking. (I'm a tinkerer; IT systems, Electronics (tube, solid state and microcontrollers), I build and repair guitars (acoustic and electric), I brew beer, design typefaces, and probably do a few other things.) So, yeah, tinkerer.

But now a job found me, so I'm no longer living the frugal life. I can probably even afford some Mobeus oils and some Bergeon screwdrivers.

I have a few old watches from my youth that need attention. Only one is automatic, so that's where I'll focus my time. It's a 23 jewel 'Solar' brand watch from about 1970. These were sold by the large Canadian department store chain called Eatons back then. Solar was an Eatons house brand.  The watch was Swiss made and has an AS movement. It runs but barely. It needs a service. Time to get at it (after I gear up).2134500421_EatonsSolarwatches1970.thumb.jpg.2683a3e412c2d6fe845d841e94869f66.jpg

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, 100amps said:

I can probably even afford some Mobeus oils and some Bergeon screwdrivers.

Welcome here. When starting what's importante  is not to spend on overpriced tools (you can get excellent quality drivers for GBP 2.50 a piece), but that you setup your bench to work comfortably (means at least work near to they eyes) and good light, plus you invest a good deal of time to develop your skills.

59 minutes ago, 100amps said:

I have a few old watches from my youth that need attention.

If these watches are important to you the recommendation is to start with something else of very little value, because as a beginner the chances that the first watch(es) you gets your hands on you wil then run better than before, or run at all and be whole of in all its parts are not very great.

Welcome and thanks for the background. You will find a lot of kindred spirits on here with those interests. Some good advice from jdm there, and as an experienced tinkerer you'll already have a good feel for your personal limits and how to develop your skills. That Solar will be up and running in no time!

Thank you for your introduction and welcome to this friendly forum.

We all look forward to your contributions and continued involvement. 

My advice to you is as your are going to attempt to repair an auto take plenty of photos so if you become stuck when putting it back you can fall back and see how and where the parts go. We can always help you as well. Good luck. 

1 hour ago, jdm said:

(you can get excellent quality drivers for GBP 2.50 a piece.)

Agreed, I imagine setting up a comfortable workspace will take some trial and error. 

Yes, there are plenty of inexpensive tools and drivers available. And I know Bergeon is overpriced. I only mentioned Bergeon as an example of something I could afford now. Not that I plan to buy them, at least not yet.

I have seen a few somewhat cheaper brands get good reviews from watchmakers, but I haven't seen any good reviews of anything that cheap. I will never buy poor quality tools. If you have specific recommendations, please elaborate. Thanks.

Regarding practice movements, I have a couple scrap-ish Seiko automatics from eBay. The Solar is nice but nothing of any particular value beyond what it would sell for, which isn't a fortune. It will be a good project and a nice keeper when done.

8 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Thank you for your introduction and welcome to this friendly forum.

We all look forward to your contributions and continued involvement. 

My advice to you is as your are going to attempt to repair an auto take plenty of photos so if you become stuck when putting it back you can fall back and see how and where the parts go. We can always help you as well. Good luck. 

Thanks! Yup, with my memory, photos or video will be mandatory. And, I have so far managed to find the service guides for each of the movements I will be working on. 

Welcome to the forum,enjoy. I suggest you follow OH,s advice with regard to watch repair and take your time, the parts are very small and can disappear into the ether never to be found again. PS your retirement time will be eaten up very quickly once you start on the horological journey. 

1 hour ago, 100amps said:

I have seen a few somewhat cheaper brands get good reviews from watchmakers, but I haven't seen any good reviews of anything that cheap.

Have a read of our pinned topic below 

1 hour ago, 100amps said:

I will never buy poor quality tools

Nobody will suggest that, but about watchmaking tools "poor quality" offering ends pretty much with the $15 cased kits. Above that, either Swiss branded or China made theese will be perhaps only relatively chepa in the last case.