Illinois Pocket Watch Keyless Works

I have a Illinois keyless not working, I'm trying to see how the parts are supposed to be assembled,

Can't find a video on this type, really looking for to location of the retention springs

image_15.jpg

Just as a tip, if you are disassembling a movement to which you are unfamiliar with, take a photo at each stage of disassembly. This way when you need to put the movement together again you can work from the photos in reverse order with each showing the location of every part. Although this can be tedious with many photos, it will make life a bit easier until knowledge has gained. Thats how i started many many years ago ( and on occasion today if i  have never worked on a specific caliber ).

I hope someone with familiar knowledge of this movement can help :)

• Like 1

I had this from long ago and I'm sure I received it not working. The barrel click is missing the spring and the keyless is not under tension. Can't fine the exploded view and there are two parts taped to the case

I do have a second one, sure they both need a huge clean, any suggestions on the best all around solution without braking the bank. I guess distilled water and dish detergent will work in a pinch, I need some möbius oil and going to have to slowly pick up things I'm needing, just ordered some peg wood, and like to get pith wood

I believe you will only need 3 or 4 oils/grease types maximum. Since it is a big movement, I would first find out what is the more indicated oil for that ligne and start from there. Check out ofrei for some -- scattered -- information in their oil section.

Cheers,

Bob

Hi Ken,

I might be able to help out. I have a few Illinois I can pull the plates and take a picture and I have Swigart's books with all American watch movement parts lists.

I need a little bit more info though. Size of movement, model number, serial number, OF or Hunter, Stem or lever set. I can see it's a 17 jewel bridge movement.

Edit to add: Use a good, clean lighter fluid like Rosonol to clean, then a thorough dry. Don't use detergent and water. Stay away from flames :)

Edited by Gotwatch
  • Like 1

Ken, I took the liberty to guess at your movement.

Here is an as-like Illinois I pulled the plates on. Matches your movement, if not exact, the same family.

Dial Side:

post-674-0-08769600-1430602747_thumb.jpg

Dial side 2:

post-674-0-20991800-1430602781_thumb.jpg

Barrel bridge removed:

post-674-0-18372500-1430602868_thumb.jpg

Keyless removed:

post-674-0-84807300-1430602930_thumb.jpg

Keyless exploded in order:

post-674-0-45591200-1430602969_thumb.jpg

Hope that helps :)

• Like 2

Wow awesome, you have some great refences there! So I have an Illinois 17 jewel that needs the keyless works repaired a small spring metal sliver fell out.

Illinois movement

Grade: 405

Movement Serial Number:4823282

Grade:405

Model: 3

Estimated Production Year: 1926

Run Quantity: 4,000

Total Production:414,520

Size:12s

Jewels:17j

Movement Configuration:Openface

Movement Finish:Nickel

Movement Setting: Pendant

Plate: Bridge Plate

Bridge Type: Center

Barrel: Going

Adjusted: Yes

Adjusted # of Positions: 3

Adjusted to Temperature: Yes

Railroad Grade: No

image_16.jpg

I'm going to get deeper looks like the dial has to come off. Mark made a nice move when working on a keyless works with Bergeon Rodico,

Here is another slightly different Illinois pw,

This has the wrong regulator. I can't seem to find this part on eBay, anyone think of a source for these

image_18.jpg

Have some Vetus tweezers .Good and inexpensive .But buy the stainless steel models . There only costing a £5 from cousinsuk .

219 looks to be a tricky watch to get, wow. Ok so here is what I have thanks to the fantastic photo shots from gotwatch I see this is a broken return spring, I have too many broken watches and none of them seem to be interchangeable. Here is my 1926 grade 405, model 3. Should I be searching for keyless spring ?

image_23.jpg

image_20.jpg

Ken, according to Swigart's factory parts list, Illinois calls it a Clutch Lever Spring, part #870. You may be lucky to find it in an extensive search for NOS parts at, like, Dashto's (http://www.dashto.com/) but it may be difficult. An email to Tom may prove fruitful. He often comes up with the oddest items.

You could form a new one from a guitar string using round nosed pliers. What size string, I don't know. You'll need to measure the spring, then measure the proper string.

Willfly may be of some help here as he's an accomplished guitar player.

• Like 1

That's great how do you order just call?this same movement needs the clock spring, can you see that there

Ken, I was there looking for something else and decided to give your clutch spring a go. I think you're asking now for a click spring? If so, that part is an 855 I believe. You'll have to let your fingers do the walking and search there. To order, instructions are on his home page I linked to a few posts ago. http://www.dashto.com/

I order this part, they did not have any of the other parts I needed, the click spring or the adjustment regulator

Total was $11

Thanks Ken, received payment and will mail in the morning,

Tom Mister

Dashto Horological

Virginia Beach, VA

Ken, the clutch spring has a ring at each end and snaps over the studs, Hold the spring with peg wood or Rodico as you manipulate over the studs so it doesn't fly off into the ethos.

The click spring is a simple horseshoe shape so could be made from guitar string very easily.