Analysis Paralysis

Well, I am pretty sure that I can safely say that I have this.

These screwdrivers, those screwdrivers. Should I buy a big set or individuals. Make my own base or buy screwdrivers that come with a base?

Tweezers! Don't even start.

Hand lifters? What size do I want? Movement holders? Spring winders? Clocks or watches.

This cleaning fluid, that cleaning fluid. Do I buy an ultrasonic? Is it really necessary yet?

Which oil? Which grease?

Which polishing wheels do I get? Which timegrapher? Which desk light?

Should I buy a microscope yet?

Do I want a lathe? Do I need a lather yet? Do I want a mill? Do I need a mill yet? Do I get a lathe/mill combination? Would the Chinese machines be good enough to do precision work?

Where in the hell am I even going to set things up as my house is already full of other stuff?

Do I do Marks course? Do I do the BHI course?

Will the watch companies succeed in their bid to basically shutdown access to parts? What would that mean to me, well any of us, that are looking to have a crack at all of this?

Will I find people that have older clocks that need work or do people just not have that interest anymore?

My head just doesn't stop.

I hate it when it does this.........

I know the answer is to just do something, but then I worry about what the other half will say. "You've got all these things that you want to do, now you want to add clocks and maybe watches? No-one is interested in them! Everyone has a smartwatch or a mobile phone."

As I said, my head just doesn't stop.

Edited by Michael1962
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Michael   your other half is correct to some extent regarding mobile phones etc But there are a lot of people wearing watches still and a lot of people still have a clock or two in the house. Its easier to look at a watch than fiddle with the mobile and people still glance at the clock on the mantle piece, So as long as their are people the clocks and watches will remain, not in great quantities like before but they will remain. People buy watches and clocks as an investment.  Companies such a Swatch Rolex Selitia, Seiko <miyota and others continue to produce both mechanical and quartz watches and dont look like quitting soon. Regarding the other worries tools and the like Just get what you need for the time being and buy new ones as the others wea rout or break, I managed without a lathe for years screwdrivers were kept in a tin /box with the rest of the tools others I made as required. I am all for getting what you can afford but within reason If the only tool for the job is a Bergeon at great cost I look at alternate ways of doing the job or construct somthing that will do the job, like hand levers screwdriver base all simple fixes.  Just one step at a time and cross each bridge as you reach it and concentrate on the here and now to morrow is another day. 

1 hour ago, Michael1962 said:

Everyone has a smartwatch or a mobile phone."

What you do for timekeeping if you keep your cell phone off? Mine is typically never on as I consider it for emergency use only and looking up time on it is not an emergency.

Perhaps the problem here is you have no idea at all what you're trying to do? What I mean by that is are you getting into watches or clocks are both. You want to do repair or are you thinking about manufacturing? Okay perhaps not manufacturing but making your own components? Because my read through the list of tools you Are asking about it's a rather impressive list way beyond normal beginner in either watch or clock repair which might be part of the problem.

1 hour ago, Michael1962 said:

Will the watch companies succeed in their bid to basically shutdown access to parts? What would that mean to me, well any of us, that are looking to have a crack at all of this?

Is amazing what shows up on eBay.

In business, we talk a lot about MVP; Minimum Viable Product. Pretty much always the best place to start, because the experience gained there will inform the next steps better than all the analysis and planning in the world. You need to get to the movements, take them apart, clean them, and put them back together as a minimum. Note, minimum viable is not the same as cheapest. You don't want to make things unnecessarily more expensive for yourself down the road when poor quality tools break or do damage, but you don't want to get the best in the biz either, since there are multiple bests that vary subtly in ways you likely don't yet understand or have preferences for/against. 

Focusing on screwdrivers since I know that was a recent line of inquiry of yours, my logic led me to a basic set as used in schools. If the schools think they're good enough to get the job done without introducing their own set of challenges or complications, and also cheap enough for the students, it's probably right at the sweet spot. 

Thanks for the answers guys. It has actually helped in that it made me pull back a bit and work out some things. I have a fairly good idea of my way forward.

Thanks again.

I think, well I know, that my leaning towards screwdrivers etc came from the pocket watch that I purchased recently and my wanting to service it to get it up and running again. It can take a back seat for now while I focus on beginning on the clocks I have.

Edited by Michael1962

On 12/6/2021 at 4:41 AM, Michael1962 said:

"...Everyone has a smartwatch or a mobile phone."

I am moved to comment on that statement.  Timepieces (those independent of other electronic devices) have lately been waxing and waning in popularity.  But I do not *think* they will ever be truly abandoned.  And as a desirable anachronism, their value may even continue to increase.  I, myself, have a newer smartphone.  It has a clock in it, among other things.  I say "newer" because it replaces my old one.  And when I say "old", I mean five years.  And I got rid of the one before it.  And the one before that.  And...you can maybe see the point I'm making now.  Modern electronics are disposable.  When they get old and are no longer supported for updates, we throw them away.  We don't do that with our father's or grandfather's watches.  These smart devices will never truly touch the hearts of most people in the same way that watches do.  A watch often becomes a very personal thing, and an accessory, and a statement.  They are made, not only to last, but to be revived if need be, in a way that consumer electronics are not.
There may be fewer of them to work on, some day in the future, but I do not believe all of us will ever be out of work.  If my backlog of work on my bench is any indication, there's still plenty to go around at present.

Edited by KarlvonKoln

On 12/13/2021 at 1:47 PM, KarlvonKoln said:

Timepieces (those independent of other electronic devices) have lately been waxing and waning in popularity.

Could be, but watches still are a sizeable industry. Any man or woman that is just a bit interested in looks and apparel wears a watch, have you seen the TV ad where a young man is belittled for going to a club without one.
Below the volume of the Swiss industry in recent years, these are export values, not retail, and taxed prices, which can be easily three times as much. The world data is also available on the same site https://www.fhs.swiss/eng/statistics.html

Cattura.PNG.2449d1e409bbe121aed7a3c48e68678c.PNG

• Thanks 1

Gone are the days when people would see watches as a tool to tell the time and used to purchase one watch to see them through life, or as a replacement for a broken one.

Younger people these days like to have a collection of watches for different social occasions or moods, rather than one decent watch.

And don't forget the environmental argument for mechanical watches over battery operated ones

So i think our hobbies and cottage industries are safe for a few more years to come. 🙂

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/6/2021 at 10:41 AM, Michael1962 said:

"You've got all these things that you want to do, now you want to add clocks and maybe watches? No-one is interested in them!

Maybe you should simply not care about these things and just enjoy the hobby.

After I got parallelized I learned that it is not important at all what other people think. It is about what makes you happy and to do the things you want to do. There will always be people that will have the same interests and and help each other out. What the rest thinks o well, they have their lives.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Luckily those of us interested in the shrinking watch market can take photographs of our work using a camera from the shrinking camera market.

The cellphone market seems to be making everything go away! 🙂 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2021 at 9:41 AM, Michael1962 said:

Well, I am pretty sure that I can safely say that I have this.

These screwdrivers, those screwdrivers. Should I buy a big set or individuals. Make my own base or buy screwdrivers that come with a base?

Tweezers! Don't even start.

Hand lifters? What size do I want? Movement holders? Spring winders? Clocks or watches.

This cleaning fluid, that cleaning fluid. Do I buy an ultrasonic? Is it really necessary yet?

Which oil? Which grease?

Which polishing wheels do I get? Which timegrapher? Which desk light?

Should I buy a microscope yet?

Do I want a lathe? Do I need a lather yet? Do I want a mill? Do I need a mill yet? Do I get a lathe/mill combination? Would the Chinese machines be good enough to do precision work?

Where in the hell am I even going to set things up as my house is already full of other stuff?

Do I do Marks course? Do I do the BHI course?

Will I find people that have older clocks that need work or do people just not have that interest anymore?

My head just doesn't stop.

I hate it when it does this.........

I know the answer is to just do something, but then I worry about what the other half will say. "You've got all these things that you want to do, now you want to add clocks and maybe watches? No-one is interested in them! Everyone has a smartwatch or a mobile phone."

Hahaha. I think I've just found my long lost brother. Mike where have you been all  this time, mum has been worried  sick 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1