Pocket Watch Noob from the UK

bobd91

Hi,

for reasons I cannot quite explain I started viewing pocket watch restoration videos on YouTube.  Then I bought a non-running Waltham 1899 610 from Ebay for £8 which I have stripped down to the bare bones and cleaned (with varying degrees of success, it had been taped together at some point and even lighter fluid wont get some of the old sticky off).

It now has a bent hair spring (dropped the balance cock whilst removing it), is short one plate screw  (it pinged out of the tweezers, never to be seen again) and I am discovering how much harder it is putting it all back together.  My goodness, trying to put small screws back in is frustrating, how on earth do you do it?

Despite the challenges I am having a great time.

Regards,

Bob

• Like 1

Welcome to the world of timepieces!  I see you are learning that, despite the degree of difficulty, this is a truly fascinating hobby for us (or career, if you are being paid) and this is why we keep doing it.
At some point, somebody will point out how having quality tools can make many tasks considerably easier.  Taking tweezers as an example, a good set can be more expensive, but you will note that the tips line up more accurately, they close evenly without splaying apart at the end when closed somewhat firmly, and the springy feel is better and easier to control when handling such small parts.  There is a lot to be said for practicing control and grip, but that becomes easiest with a quality pair of tweezers.
The same can be said of screwdrivers.  If the blade is shaped just right, it won't be prone to slipping or turning right out of the screw slot.  If it is hard enough, it won't become bent or chipped so easily.  There is also a lot to be said about how we sharpen our screwdrivers (which is something of an art unto itself) but sharpening a quality screwdriver is not needed as often.
Good tools truly help.  Not all of them need to be expensive (though many often are).  And some vintage tools are fantastic.  The more time you spend with us, the more tools you will  hear about.  And the more you will develop skills with them.  
But it is always good to carefully decide how deep you want to dive into this.  And to not move any faster than your budget will allow. 

Thanks for the encouragement.  Budget constraints are certainly a factor, there seems to be a lot of bits and pieces to get and it soon adds up.  

I have managed to get most of the watch back together ok without mishap, it is a dry run (I haven't bought any lubricants yet) and intend to take it apart again for another clean.  I am now looking at the balance and am a little perplexed, the Waltham setup seems somewhat different to others I have seen on YouTube.  Thankfully I have just found a helpful topic on the forum.

OK, so the balance staff top pivot and the top balance jewel are both broken.  I bought it as a non-runner to practice on so not unexpected that I can't get it going but disappointing all the same.  I do not have the tools or know how to fix those problems, maybe one day.

I was trying to work out how to get access to the balance jewels and have removed all I can from the balance cock but am stuck.

balancecock.jpg.5ff0eccb9afad5517908b30fe2d03d8e.jpg 

I had assumed that removing the two screws from the metal disc surrounding the jewel would allow me to remove it but it doesn't seem to have achieved anything.

Can I remove the jewel visible in the photo, and its broken partner underneath, or do I need special tools?

Thanks,

Bob

Welcome to the forum Bob.

From my experience on another forum that I use, it is best to post topics in the area best related to them as they will get the proper attention that they require. 👍

Having said that, I have probably still posted things in the wrong place on here.

Edited by Michael1962