Drying

chadders1966

I think one of the off-putting things for those of us who do this as a hobby is the price of equipment, and the fact there are very few suppliers and manufacturers. I'm not talking about precision instruments here, but items that even when you get the 'cheaper' chinese version still cost a fair bit. I don't know about others, but I like to try and think laterally for solutions.

Take drying parts as an example. On Cousins you have a choice of three, ranging from about £160 to £380, even ordering from China will still cost a fair bit. I have made myself a heating plate by adapting a trouser press I never use - heats up to about 60c, good for drying larger parts. For smaller parts I use a combination of a metal biscuit tin with a hole cut in it (and ventilation holes), a hairdryer that fits this hole and an old metal sieve - works really well.

Anyway the purpose of my post is to ask peoples opinion of whether they the following (or similar) might be used for drying watch parts: http://www.amazon.co.uk/VonShef-Dehydrator-Machine-Adjustable-Temperature/dp/B00DRGC08Y/ref=sr_1_2?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1430383953&sr=1-2&keywords=dehydrator. One of the disadvantages of the hairdryer method is that even on low it's a pretty strong blow. This item appears to have both an adjustable temperature and gentle fan. What do you think?

Stephen

I see once a drier made out of a wood box with a hairdryer blowing through it and seemed to be working.

Yep thats exactly what an old watchmaker had i used to know, one side was cloth so it could blow through the other side

I see once a drier made out of a wood box with a hairdryer blowing through it and seemed to be working.

I've seen this done more than a few times. The best tools are not necessarily the expensive ones, rather the ones that work the best.

So does anybody have any views/comments on the item I linked in the op? Thanks

Stephen

Having looked at the picture of the device I'm sure it looks like it may do the job with a bit of modification. It appears to be quite large and you might have to install some fine mesh or use small mesh baskets to keep parts together.

Would I buy one............no.

• Like 1

Having looked at the picture of the device I'm sure it looks like it may do the job with a bit of modification. It appears to be quite large and you might have to install some fine mesh or use small mesh baskets to keep parts together.

Would I buy one............no.

Thanks for that. I'm thinking I might give it a go at the price they are charging. The units on top are stackable so could get rid of most of them, the actual body is 33cm diameter so not too big. I have some very fine mesh I could put in, then away I go! The thing I particularly like is it has a thermostat and gentle fan - not sure how it will work, but if it doesn't I can always give it as a present to someone.

Stephen

• 1 month later...

I finally got round to buying and using this and have to say I am impressed. I took of the top four compartments, just leaving the bottom one as it's plenty big enough. I shaped some mesh to fit so all parts can just be placed straight in. Although it's big enough it isn't quite as big as it looks, about 30cm across - I have plenty of space though so it's not a problem.

What's good I think is that you can set the temperature from 35 to 70 degrees. It drys by the gentle movement of heated air - the top is vented so the temperature is stable and doesn't build. I'm not actually sure how much I will use it for watches as I use a watch cleaner with it's own dryer, but I can actually think of plenty of other uses for it for other things. I have dried cases etc. straight out of the ultrasonic and I've been pleased with the results. Not as quick as using a hairdryer (;)), but I like how I can just put something in and leave it. For £20ish I can't complain really.

Stephen

• 2 weeks later...