An Ebel from a bag of bits....

I recently received a bag of broken watch bits in the post with a note attached. The note read, “see what you can do with this lot”. 
I wasn’t very hopeful but it turned out there was at least one complete watch in there. After spending time piecing everything together I realised a new quartz movement would be required. 
An ETA 64111 seemed to fit all the measurements and one was ordered. After a lot of dial cleaning, hand straightening, and case/ bracelet polishing I ended up with a complete working watch. 

A6B8DF58-F2E5-4A27-BACC-7A3456687A4C.jpeg

2F88BF34-3BD6-4FB7-A3FB-0AB44F7522FF.jpeg

2349A256-D494-4FF7-8D29-174455E03D0E.jpeg

580D5C58-1491-4448-91FA-F2A32FB2BC55.jpeg

• Like 4

Im really not happy with how the crown sits. The original crown had the stem broken off in it (but not flush, quite a way down inside), and I didn't want to wait ages for alum to work. Also being a closed back the watch had a split stem. I converted the standard ETA 64111 stem in to a split stem, by shaping a male end under the microscope with some small files. I purchased the female end from cousins and screwed this into a replacement crown. After spending ages with the files getting a clean union between the male and female ends, it turns out my measurements were 1/2 a mm out!

Im sure I will sulk over this overnight and then buy a new stem tomorrow and start all over again. This time with a 0.5mm shorter initial cut!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Marc said:

Rather than start all over again can you not just remove the outer half of the stem from the crown, shorten by 0.5mm, and the reinstal?

Cracking resurrection by the way 🙂

Is this one of those times where you are so blinded by messing something up, that you can't see the obvious solution?!

Bl**dy hell Marc, you might be right! Ill have a look and reply...

• Like 2

On 11/24/2021 at 7:01 PM, watchweasol said:

Hi Angrybear   did you shave off the excess for a good fit as Marc suggested.  Don't hide it show us the result

Sorry for the delayed response gentleman (and ladies if you are present).

I did take it apart to investigate Marcs suggestion. I forgot that when I made the crown side of the stem I left no room for adjustment (see photo below). 
The only way I can see to adjust that would be to reduce the shoulder of the female side where it meets the crown, effectively meaning I could screw the female stem part in further, ideally by 0.5mm. Still undecided whether to try this (ideally on a watchmaker lathe I don’t have), or to remake the male part again (which I’m avoiding because it was a pig!)

Any suggestions? 

25C2A038-16EE-42A7-B9E8-C2214CA47302.jpeg

So there’s good news and there’s bad news. Realising it was going to be hard to reduce the shoulder of the female adapter, I wondered if I could reduce the length of the crown tube instead. The crown tube was flush with the crown and I couldn’t get any sort of cutters in there. The ‘dremel’ with a grinding bit was used instead. I ground off 0.5mm and re tapped the hole (smallest tap I had was 1.0mm so I just used it to ‘start’ the thread). Put back together and....

it’s flush! 

3C4E3837-9BDE-4E8E-8B01-2FEA652C8506.jpeg

9F0DCEBF-C64A-4ABB-AEF3-9B583FC0B767.jpeg

EEB16781-480D-4D0D-B5D6-A7A5E0B1E95C.jpeg

E95D7D98-DB4B-40B1-AC94-73EE251E1442.jpeg

0C4A24C1-ED72-4036-B204-446735C32CA1.jpeg

• Like 3