Complete Novice. Attempting to overcome the boredom of lock down

rossjackson01

Opened a Timex. Removed movement, hands and... not sure of the names of the wheels. Loosened the tight main spring. Nothing fixed. Put everything back. Keeping it for when I have more, much more, experience. Course beckons.

Regards

to all

Ross

Edited by rossjackson01
grammar

6 hours ago, rossjackson01 said:

Opened a Timex. Removed movement, hands and... not sure of the names of the wheels. Loosened the tight main spring. Nothing fixed. Put everything back. Keeping it for when I have more, much more, experience. Course beckons.

Regards

to all

Ross

which Timex?

Watchweasel

As requested.

This is the Timex I have started to learn with. It's the only watch I have that is not working. I'm loathe to carry on as I have removed the back by unbending the lugs 3 times now. I may break them. I will therefore try another watch. Just been outbid on ebay for some practice pieces.

20211130_155022.jpg

20211130_155029.jpg

20211130_155045.jpg

Update

Really enjoying the new hobby. I've been able to give life to 7 of my wife's old watches. Only opening, fitting new batteries. Low end for members, but for a novice it's one heck of a feeling of achievement.

I have two mechanical pocket watches of Russian origin. One is missing many parts, so a practice for disassembly looms. the other is all there, but the balance spring is bent and deformed. Job for when I have more experience.

Two mechanical watches. Ladies Sekonda.  No Crown. Gents Sekonda. Hands need realigning. No second hand. 

The gents Sekonda and pocket watches are from my father-in-law. Due the missing parts in his watches I would hate to have used his repairer/s. Glad I never met them.

I have a basic set of tools from ebay. Magnifying glasses (2) One is 3.5 flip down, the other is a 10/15/25 zoom. Both with LED. Small Yogurt pots hold my tools. In the New Year I  need to (want to) purchase better set of tweezers, better screwdrivers and a mini vice set. Can do for all under £15 on ebay.  

Practicing an hour a day after my home bike work out. No not Peleton.  Just a bike with the facility to put a tablet on the handlebars to cycle round sites in the world. My wife talks to the people she passes?

Regards to all. And a special thank to the members of the forum. So friendly, not condescending, but very knowledgeable.

Ross

• Like 1