Complete Novice. Attempting to overcome the boredom of lock down

rossjackson01

Hello every one.

Yes. I am one of those. Not even an amateur. At 73 years of age, sound in memory and faculties. Have learned, spreadsheets, Databases, Video Design, Photoshop, Page Design and Web Design since retirement. I retired early. I would like to do something that I can benefit from. All of the before mentioned, even though I am quite proficient and have become qualified in all, I cannot actually achieve an end. No one want to use (employ) a 73 year old. Plus, do I really want to mix and put my wife, and my, life in peril in these challenging times?

Therefore I want to do something that I can benefit from personally. I have a number of old watches that are in need of repair. Mechanical and digital. 

I have sent for a basic kit of tools and magnifying glasses. Should be here this week. Enrolled in two free courses.

Regard to you all

Keep well, Keep safe.

Ross

Hi Ross    at 77 and been doing the clock and watch repair since I was 16 and still at it     age is no barrier.  Welcome to the forum.  I have attached a couple of documents for you to peruse,  dont be afraid to ask and accompany any queries with pictures of the movevment etc.        cheers 

1612608791_ToolsfortheHobbyist (2) (1).pdf TZIllustratedGlossary.pdf

Hi  You can use this forum without the courses as it an open forum but as you are just beginning with Horology there is no better way than to enrol on Marks courses to learn the finer points of the trade.  Mark also posts quite a few watch repair videos on U tube you can watch for free as an introduction.  Have a look and you will see the quality of his work.    cheers.

Thank you for your prompt replies. 

A lot to think about. I have my tools arriving soon, together with the glasses, I will be good to go. I have found, with the other courses I have done, that the best way forward is with a set training course. Hmmm? 

Looking at the YouTube videos, they do seem excellent. But a beginner picking and choosing leads to a chaotic standard.

Do I want to spend $71 so early? Hmmm.

Angrybear. Pardon my intrusion. Did you have prior experience?

Regards

Ross

Edited by rossjackson01
spelling

2 hours ago, rossjackson01 said:

Do I want to spend $71 so early?

Compared to what a well equipped workbench cost, that is very little. If you have never worked on watches before try first taking apart one (quartz or mechanical makes no difference) down to the last bit and putting back together one of zero value. That will give you a good sense of what is that about. If your interest will then not be what you think is now, that is no surprise, we have hundreds of new members that claimed the highest intentions, not to be heard again ever.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rossjackson01 said:

Thank you for your prompt replies. 

A lot to think about. I have my tools arriving soon, together with the glasses, I will be good to go. I have found, with the other courses I have done, that the best way forward is with a set training course. Hmmm? 

Looking at the YouTube videos, they do seem excellent. But a beginner picking and choosing leads to a chaotic standard.

Do I want to spend $71 so early? Hmmm.

Angrybear. Pardon my intrusion. Did you have prior experience?

Regards

Ross

I wish I'd have invested a bit more money in training before I began. Even good books on watch repair are expensive and in a lot of cases out of date.

Hi Ross   I would consider what jdm said Get a handfull of moderate tools and have a go an old cheap pocket watch first as the bits are larger and easier to handle then if you get it right get a cheap watch and have another go, By this time you will know whether you have the aptitude, patience and careful hands and vision to carry on. Not forgetting the enthusiasm. If the fever still burns there is a trail of knowledge to follow. When I started a long time ago there were no videos, no courses, just the occasional books you could lay your hands on. Today people like Mark are willing to share knowledge that was once a closed shop to the amateur/hobbyist, If you are serious in doing this the oppertunities are there. Even after all these years I still enjoy it and get a kick out of fixing it, a house full of clocks drawer full of tools and I still indulge in making more tools.   The first thing they do with the dead is empty their pockets and then its too late.   You will create a few cockups but that's what the forum is for , to get you over the hurdles and help.    all best.🙂 

• Like 1

Welcome Ross! If you're like me and most of the regulars on WRT, you're going to find "tinkering" with watches deeply intriguing, deeply satisfying, and sometimes deeply frustrating.

On 11/21/2021 at 5:06 PM, rossjackson01 said:

Enrolled in two free courses.

Now, that caught my attention! Being a non-professional myself I'm always looking for free courses. Can you provide some more info and/or links please? Thanks!

VWatchie

Only basic introduction to courses. 

Mark Lovicks, 5  basic videos. 

Ticktock. Receiving daily videos after registration. 

Both have basic courses for approximately the same value. 

I have tried to enter Free Course - Learn Watchmaking,  'learnwatchmaking .com' course but have never received the accepting email in inbox or junk.

This is the forum for Mark Lovick. TickTock does not appear to have one

Regards

Ross 

Edited by rossjackson01
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rossjackson01 said:

Another question

Is 'Watch Repair for Beginners' by H C Kelly a good book to begin with? I can get a copy on ebay for £7.

Or, could anyone recommend a book for a complete novice like me?

My tool kit and glasses should arrive later today. Woohoo!

Thank you

Ross

I'm pretty sure I've read that book but I didn't keep it as a reference so I didn't think much of it.

I'd recommend 'The Swiss Watch Repairer's Manual' by H Jendritzki but it's been out of print for a while (any edition)... but it crops up on eBay every now and again, at an inflated price!

'Practical Watch Repairing' by Donald de Carle is good but it was originally published in 1946 so it's a bit out of date but it's still available at a reasonable price.

'The Theory of Horology' by WOSTEP is a great book on understanding how watches function but it doesn't describe how to repair watches and it's usually a silly price.

Good luck with your endeavours, and don't be put off by getting things wrong - it can be a frustrating hobby at times but it's ultimately rewarding.

• Like 1

Woohoo! Tomorrow is Day one of the rest of ... repair.

Glasses arrived. Comfortable.

Tool Kit arrived. No idea how to use anything yet.

Tea time is due. Rest and get ready. Get everything ready. Make errors tomorrow. Can't wait.

Thank you for the encouragement. Will keep you posted. Nothing worse than wondering how someone got on.

Plato. Comments noted about books. Thank you

Regards to all.

Ross

Edited by rossjackson01
grammar

Hi Ross you can never read too much  or learn everything just take little steps and if not sure ASK,  no matter how daft you think the question is. Remember we have all been there made the cockup and learned from evert one of them, and then done it again, Why?  overconfident.  According to Newton law every Action has an opposite and equal reaction. The law of common sense, Look before you leap.    Wish you well and take your time and enjoy doing it        Cheers 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rossjackson01 said:

VWatchie

Only basic introduction to courses. 

Mark Lovicks, 5  basic videos. 

Ticktock. Receiving daily videos after registration. 

Both have basic courses for approximately the same value. 

I have tried to enter Free Course - Learn Watchmaking,  'learnwatchmaking .com' course but have never received the accepting email in inbox or junk.

This is the forum for Mark Lovick. TickTock does not appear to have one

Regards

Ross 

OK, thanks! I would definitely recommend watchfix.com LEVEL 1 The Basics ($79), and LEVEL 2 Maintenance Servicing ($119). Learnwatchmaking,com is very good too (I took the "Watchmaking 101"), but I'd say watchfix.com is the way to go. It's a small investment to get a really great start. If you interest grows, the sky is the limit. During the few years I've been doing this I've spent many thousands of dollars on tools, consumables, magnification, spare parts, movements, etc, etc. You don't have to spend that much, but I got the bug really bad, and I always want the best if I can afford it.

• Like 1

Update

Wow! Double Wow!

Got my first watch fixed..ish. Well, second actually. Both Casio calculator watches from the 1980s.

First one. Battery support snapped. New battery did not work. Ah well.

Second one. Replaced with the new battery from the first. Worked a treat. Display shows. Woohoo! I'm a repairer. Not really, but it did feel good. Some of the press contacts do not work. So my next job is a strip and clean, not just a battery replace. Job for tomorrow. 

Really pleased. Tools and Glasses are good.

VWatchie and all, thank you for the confidence boost.

Leaning toward WatchFix. But I think it will be a New Years present for myself.

Regards

Ross

• Like 1