Help For Seth Thomas Navy Clock

ken

This 1942 navy clock has a hard to find escapement, it's the round Elgin, the balance pivot is toast. I'm reading that you can use the elgin balance staff 16. I was just curios if I get an elgin original balance assembly, will this work with this clock as I can install that but I don't have to tools to replace the pivot on something like this,

I know it's not easy to try to walk someone through this but this old clock can really use the help

Looks like this

image_14.jpg

If you know the calibers of both movements there is a chance that the following company might have them. If so the sizes are shown so you could compare

http://www.balancestaffs.com/balancestaffs.php

I'll try to get a photo of the Seth Thomas movement it's definitely Elgin (part r-20695)

NAWCC June 1985 bulletin #236 page 340-343 from what I can find online.

I'm still lost with this, until I learn to use this staking set I just picked up, older k&d set under$100, I'm thinking this is not the best one as I don't think the stakes can be inverted

image_19.jpg

Ken move this post to the tools & equipment section. The staking set you have purchased might look a bit tired but will clean up. I don,t know the diameter of the stakes but Bergeon stakes & stumps are still available from some suppliers.

The stakes are 4.7mm diameter

A staking set in my opinion is essential for many jobs with clocks & watches

Yes this seems to have a nice supply of stumps, didn't get it yet but can't tell from the photo if the align stake is there?

I think I have plenty of watches that have bad stafs, I'll just wait till I feel comfortable to try and fix the Mark1 navy clock, wish I could just change the balance complete. But this is long out of production. I read that the Waltham 16 fits. Not sure if that's rivet or press fit

There is a very good book on the market which I purchased on eBay a few years ago "The Watchmakers' Staking Tool" by George G. Lucchina & Archie B Perkins

ISBN No. 5 800031 754423.

This book is very good showing what can be achieved with the set

Thank you clockboy, I see one of the stakes #89 looks like there is a hole in the side and a broken pin in the end, not sure if it's damaged or a pivot stuck there, I've been cleaning it up, it's starting to look better.

From this

image_19.jpg

image_29.jpg

image_28.jpg

image_30.jpg

image_31.jpg

Ken, That is a cross hole punch which is used for removing roller tables & friction fit balance staffs. The hole is to facilitate the removal of the removed staff and it looks like it is the remnants of a broken staff in the end it should pull out.