Watch repair hack looking to grow

MichaelTJ

Hello,

I have a broad assortment of watches and recently starting buying various watch repair tools to tinker and repair.  I found this site and starting reading the posts and have learned passively through other's posts.  I would like to learn more and think my next tool is to purchase magnifiers since my eyes are getting old.  Thanks for the opportunity to learn...Mike

Thank you for your introduction and welcome to this friendly forum.

You will need a few eye glasses and depending on you and your eyes you will have to find out which type is best for you. If you buy eye glasses get the ones with a small hole in them that prevents them from fogging up.  Cheep ones don't have good all round magnification and can be blurry.  

7 hours ago, MichaelTJ said:

my next tool is to purchase magnifiers since my eyes are getting old

Welcome @MichaelTJ!

Traditionally, watchmakers use eye loupes. I have a few, but I only use them when I burnish pivots or adjust jewel shake as the tools used for these purposes don't fit under my inexpensive stereo microscope. In most all other situations I use magnifying glasses and my inexpensive stereo microscope.

If you want to know more you can read this post of mine.

Goof luck!

• 3 weeks later...