Hi

needmorstuff

11 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Thank you for your introduction and welcome to this friendly forum.

Good clear photos can help a lot. 

oh I don't have any tools nor skills to even open the watch.. I am mainly looking for an independent expert in the UK to fix it for me.

the power reserve was bad, i mentioned it to my son show wound the watch for me by hand.. now it doesn't keep any power reserve at all and I have to wear it constantly.. even after sleeping it will stop sometimes and have lost time.. its the Soprod automatic A10 movement in the sub 6000t and apparently is known for such things.

the watch cost me £1200 2nd hand if i recall and isnt a particularly expensive watch, to just look at it then doxa service have said the starting figure is £460, so i just don't feel the economy is accurate. sure £500 to service a £4000 watch, but for mine? seems too steep.

53 minutes ago, needmorstuff said:

doxa service have said the starting figure is £460, so i just don't feel the economy is accurate. sure £500 to service a £4000 watch, but for mine?

£460 for service is surely expensive, you may get an independent  to do it for 250, however since the time needed to service cheap or expensive watches should be the same, then the price should be the same. Result, owners of  cheap watches will never service them. 

34 minutes ago, jdm said:

£460 for service is surely expensive, you may get an independent  to do it for 250, however since the time needed to service cheap or expensive watches should be the same, then the price should be the same. Result, owners of  cheap watches will never service them. 

i'd be happy with £250... just can't find anyone with experience or access to parts for the Soprod automatic A10 movement

20 minutes ago, needmorstuff said:

i'd be happy with £250... just can't find anyone with experience or access to parts for the Soprod automatic A10 movement

Service does not need parts, the mov.t is not complicated and well know being practically identical to ETA 2982. Any reputable watchmaker, online or not, will be able to do good without issue.

Much depends on quality of the work done, A fifty dollar job can turn out more expensive than a five hundered dollar one. 

You should find out what caliber or make is under the hood? its an  ETA I guess.

Your watch is either discharging power, which mostly has to do with a broken  mainspring which you should renew at service time anyway or fault in the barrel, or autowinder device,  could be as simple as barrel lid rubbing on barrel bridge, autowinder device contains , reversers, jewels . gears.....a fault anywhere in autodevice and the watch wouldn't wind good.

An honest repairman charges you for his labour, you pay for parts. 

Hold the watch up close to your ear and give it a manual wind, you are likely to hear it discharge power, if you did, repeat winding and count how many turn of the crown will it wind before power discharges, this actual power reserve would give us a clue for diagnostic and somewhat helps to determine the repair costs.

Regs

Just now, Nucejoe said:

A fifty dollar job can turn out more expensive than a five hundred dollar one.

In truth, one cannot find a fifty dollar service job in the UK, and it's not a matter of them using a different currency.

Just now, Nucejoe said:

You should find out what caliber or make is under the hood? its an  ETA I guess.

No. As mentioned is a Soprod A10, now renamed M100, which physically interchanges with ETA 2982:

https://soprod.com/mecanique/#classic

Just now, Nucejoe said:

Your watch is either discharging power, which mostly has to do with a broken  mainspring

A broken mainspring make watch to not run at all, much less with reduced power reserve.

Just now, Nucejoe said:

which you should renew at service time anyway

Blindly replacing the mainspring at each service is not mandatory even we heard that some time. A good watchmaker will make a judgement and inform the customer according to the estimate.

Just now, Nucejoe said:

or fault in the barrel, or autowinder device,  could be as simple as barrel lid rubbing on barrel bridge, autowinder device contains , reversers, jewels . gears.....a fault anywhere in autodevice and the watch wouldn't wind good.

That is indeed the then most likely cause for reduced power reserve.

Just now, Nucejoe said:

Hold the watch up close to your ear and give it a manual wind, you are likely to hear it discharge power, if you did, repeat winding and count how many turn of the crown will it wind before power discharges,

I'm not sure what is the "discharge power" that could be heard? Maybe you mean the mainspring slipping in the barrel at full wind (there is no power discharge in that? If so, that is a very subtle feeling, more tactical that audible, which sometime is difficult to determine even for an expert. 

Just now, Nucejoe said:

this actual power reserve would give us a clue for diagnostic and somewhat helps to determine the repair costs.

I'm very lost by this the diagnostic you're giving here. An automatic winding may perform terribly just due to the need of cleaning and proper lubrication.

2 hours ago, jdm said:

I'm not sure what is the "discharge power" that could be heard? Maybe you mean the mainspring slipping in the barrel at full wind (there is no power discharge in that? If so, that is a very subtle feeling, more tactical that audible, which sometime is difficult to determine even for an expert. 

Power might discharge at the click, ratchet wheel, ratchet wheels reduction wheel, barrel to gear train interface..

sound of mainspring slipping is just one of many and is sudden, quick discharge.  A mainspring can still hold some power if broken near barrel wall.

Helps to narrow down possible faults if OP's discloses how long his watch runs on bench following  a normal day on wrist.

2 hours ago, jdm said:

I'm very lost by this the diagnostic you're giving here. An automatic winding may perform terribly just due to the need of cleaning and proper lubrication.

if due to need for service, you wont hear a thing.  

in case mainspring slips or the sound of a faulty click,  OP may get hoorified thence be happy to pay the five hundered bucks for repair. 

31 minutes ago, needmorstuff said:

so can anyone recommend a watchmaker in the uk?

Check the BHI website for reputable repairers in the UK. Although there are professional watchmakers on here it's more for the benefit of amateur watch repairing enthusiasts. I'm not sure if the site owner, Mark Lovick, does repairs himself these days? 

2 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

Sound of mainspring slipping is just one of many and is sudden, quick discharge.

I'm afraid that we may have a different understanding of what exactly a "power discharge" is, but that's OK.

49 minutes ago, Plato said:

I'm not sure if the site owner, Mark Lovick, does repairs himself these days? 

No he doesn't. 

It's easy to find UK watchmakers of proven reputation and great online presence, just Google search. 

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Michael1962 said:

Posting up any photos you can of the front and the caseback of the watch will give the guys on here a much better chance of giving you any relevant information.

The OP mentioned it's a Swiss watch powered by Soprod A10 caliber. That was enough to enable the discussion above on service cost.