Ingersoll Junior Pocket Watch

I thought I'd share this as it's now the oldest watch I own which I've managed to get to imperfect perfection. It came to me in a job lot and consider myself lucky to have it come into my possession. With an unmarked crystal, paper dial and still with it bow. only missing it's second hand.

I was surprised to find it wanted to work although only just about, so I thought I'd give it a go. Somewhat nervous as I've never worked on something this old, if my interweb research is correct it dates to around 1910 or thereabouts.

After a lot of deliberation I carefully dismantled it, puzzled as to how to get it out the case and let any remaining power down (interweb helped here with some clues).  I had pictures of the thing exploding in my mind. The rust was tricky to deal with, but it had to go, sadly I lost some of the bluing, but after cleaning (filled with dirt and what appeared to be fine metal swarf) and lubrication things were looking promising.

I stopped myself breaking the tin of Brasso and a bout of polishing frenzy, on basis it took years to look like it does and it's never going to be brand new after 100 years or so. I'm glad I did as the patina feels right. 

It's been running well now keeping time as it should, and actually winds and you can set the hands. On the lookout for a replacement second hand, to finish it off.

Ingersoll rear.jpg

Ingersoll front.jpg

Ingersoll Junior front.jpg

Ingersoll junior back.jpg

• Like 3