cuckoo clock minute hand - tension is too tight

luiazazrambo

Hi Clockmakers,

This is my first ever cuckoo clock and I almost broke the minute hand because the minute wheel is too tight on the center shaft. How do I remove that ring without damaging anything? Time to do a miniaturized bearing puller? If i can remove it, will it be possible to put it back again without damaging anything?

IMG_20211112_214655_HDR.thumb.jpg.fe18b0a7dd7709ed8d542628b1b38f3b.jpg

IMG_20211112_234301_HDR.thumb.jpg.a48dfe58fff6b2ac6e1ae5deee02c3a2.jpg

Thanks Oldhippy, somehow I had that feeling so instead of trying to take it apart I inserted a blade between the washer and the wheel and between the wheel and the shaft seat and applied some Molykote DX paste. It is much better now. It required a lot of torque to rotate after cleaning I assume the cleaning removed the lubrication. I attach a picture to better represent what I was talking about (this is one side of the wheel where I applied the grease):

IMG_0001.thumb.JPG.2234aeb1cb9cd58d95e7345b5d036629.JPG

Edited by luiazazrambo

You will probably find the latch that holds the cuckoo bird arm is not locking during the call and then releasing at the end

https://www.bavarianclockworks.com/blog/diy-cuckoo-clock-repair-guide/

https://frankenmuthclock.com/blogs/news/easy-troubleshooting-guide-for-your-cuckoo-clock

Here is a couple of sites which have some useful information.          cheers

• 1 month later...

How tight is that part (cannon pinion) that goes on the center wheel shaft.  It should be friction tight. When you have added the washers and collect nuts it should be tight enough for you to move the hands around and tight for the movement when working to carry the minute  hand round. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
17 hours ago, karen936 said:

Our coo coo clock was working fine. Now the minute hand stops shy of the 12 will not advance on it's on beyond that but works good till that point. Any ideas, thank you.

When the hands approach 12, more energy is required to initiate the cuckoo strike.  I suspect the clock needs cleaning and oiling.  Has it ever been serviced?  How long has it been running since purchase or last service?