Yo

PostwarO27

Hi out there.  I'm George and I joined the forum a month back but never got around to posting here in the intro section.  I got into the hobby just a few years ago when my wife asked me it I could replace a battery in her mothers watch which she took possession of after her mom passed.  Turns out it wasn't quartz watch but a manual wind that in the end only needed a new mainspring and a good cleaning.

Being a toolmaker by trade and used to working to extreme details and tight tolerances as small as .0001 of an inch, I figured I'd take a crack at it.  Between what I had inherited from my father and he from my grandfather I managed to cobble together some screwdrivers and tweezers to access the watch and take it apart.

Iv managed to put together some vintage tools from ebay and purchased a good set of drivers, tweezers and needed lubes.  I'v amassed dozens of movements and thousands of spare parts and its full speed ahead at every spare moment I get.  I look forward to extracting as much info as I can from yall and hope I can reciprocate as well.

Willkommen!  It is always good to have more people acquainted with tool and die work.  And if you are used to tolerances of .0001 of an inch, then you will have little difficulty with watches, although you will see millimeters much more often than inches.  And you will find that many of our store-bought tools follow the same pattern you see everywhere else: there are cheap tools from China or Taiwan or nearby to there which are fragile and hard to use and terrible overall, there are better tools which some of us can afford, and there are excellent tools some of which are Swiss and very expensive and some of which are vintage and could also be very expensive.  If you know tools, you know all this, and nothing will surprise you about it.  I work on antique watches a lot, so I have been gathering mostly vintage tools when I can afford to.   Enjoy your work on timepieces!  Ask us questions!  Poke around in the forum; use the search function!  There is much to see: manuals, links to tech sheets, the Best-Fit stuff, you name it!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...