Anyone recognise this brand?

Michael1962

The pallets just need smoothing off with a very fine emery stick. The escape wheel has had it, I don't think I have seen one that bad where nearly all the teeth have been striped off. Having a new one cut will be expensive, not having any positive I D of the movement will make it hard to get a replacement.   

Hi Michael I have never seen an escape wheel like it, worn or otherwise to that extent. The movement to all intents and purposes looks like a Chinese/ Korean copy of a Hermle 1051-850 with a few subtle alterations.  I take it’s a weight driven clock, with two weights and is a Westminster chime.  Parts are going to be a problem as Old Hippy said, strangely the pallets show very little wear which leads to a quality issue with the brass used in the escape wheel. Checkout all the pivot bearings for wear.  Cheers

When I put the pallet arbor back in to check the movement of the escape wheel against the pallets, if the teeth on the escape wheel were greatly longer, as per other escape wheels, the pallets would not move through a large enough arc to clear a tooth to allow the wheel to progress.

It almost looks like the escape wheel, on top of appearing to be greatly worn down, has those rectangular recesses in the wheel circumference in between what I suppose you would call the tooth chord. The pallets can't have worn that so it must be there from manufacture.

3 weights @watchweasol

Maybe it was just rubbish brass. I am astonished though that the pallets show very little to suggest what has happened to the escape wheel.

Looking at the escape wheel , I think it may have been a recoil wheel. What is left of the the teeth, seem to slope away from the entry pallet and not toward it.

The pallets are not dead beat there for it is an anchor escapement which will have recoil, the recoil happens after the tooth has escaped and the escape wheel moves slightly backwards, this is very easy to see when a clock has a seconds hand. With a dead beat you do not have recoil of any sort, also the teeth on the escape wheel are different. 

What I think has happened here with the escape wheel is it had a lot of power on and someone tried to adjust the dept by undoing the screws to the pallet cock and raising it this caused tripping and ripped the teeth down to what we now see, the reason the pallets don't show any bad damage is steel is harder then brass.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.