Bushing grandfather clocks

Griff

I am about to re-bush two large barrels on a grandfather clock and the only bushes I can get are large with a collar.      I would normally bush fro the inside out but I think these have to be from the outside in.    Secondly the barrel of the bush will need to be cut down to plate thickness.    Thirdly is it necessary to solder the fitted bush?      Many thanks Griff

Hi and welcome to the forum.   As said by clockboy  bushes differ so it is a case of either finding straight bushes to suit or making your own. The bushes should be a friction fit, never ever solder in a bush. They are turned if you are making them or the hole broached out to allow the bush to stand in the hole and are then pressed in and cleaned up so as you cannot see them once in.

• Like 1

The trouble with already made bushes is they are never correct, that goes for size and thickness. If you have the means to make your own then do so. You will need a lathe and various sizes of brass rod.  Try to fit something that isn't correct is not good practice. What ever you do make sure you do not damage the plate. I hope you have the right size  clock broaches. The original hole doesn't have a collar. The new repair shouldn't have one. Never solder it in.  

• Like 2

Can you clarify that this is for the great wheel’s bushing in the main plate (as pictured), or for the great wheel itself?

Ready made bushes like that pictured are perhaps to help those who intend to use one for a mainspring barrel where often the bush itself is thicker than the barrel wall. 

6 hours ago, rodabod said:

Can you clarify that this is for the great wheel’s bushing in the main plate (as pictured), or for the great wheel itself?

Ready made bushes like that pictured are perhaps to help those who intend to use one for a mainspring barrel where often the bush itself is thicker than the barrel wall. 

I have seen those bushings advertised as Longcase (grandfather clock) barrel bushings. I have restored/repaired hundreds of Longcase (grandfather clocks)

On 11/3/2021 at 6:12 PM, oldhippy said:

The trouble with already made bushes is they are never correct, that goes for size and thickness. If you have the means to make your own then do so. You will need a lathe and various sizes of brass rod.  Try to fit something that isn't correct is not good practice. What ever you do make sure you do not damage the plate. I hope you have the right size  clock broaches. The original hole doesn't have a collar. The new repair shouldn't have one. Never solder it in.  

Hi old Hippy, long time off the forum for me, interesting view you have there, I use the bergeon graded bushes along with the bushing tool and reamers and have not had one problem.

As for the OP, I’ve used those bushes on the great wheel on a Haller movement the other day, and I friction fitted them but also soldered on the inside of the great wheel ( barrel ). Obviously I never solder bushes into a plate though. 
You can see my work on my Instagram account where I’m logging my record of work but also my journey through the BHI DLC , “white_time_horology”  is the page to search for 👍

• Like 2

On 11/6/2021 at 10:19 AM, transporter said:

Hi old Hippy, long time off the forum for me, interesting view you have there, I use the bergeon graded bushes along with the bushing tool and reamers and have not had one problem.

As for the OP, I’ve used those bushes on the great wheel on a Haller movement the other day, and I friction fitted them but also soldered on the inside of the great wheel ( barrel ). Obviously I never solder bushes into a plate though. 
You can see my work on my Instagram account where I’m logging my record of work but also my journey through the BHI DLC , “white_time_horology”  is the page to search for 👍

I've just started following you and look forward to seeing your "journey". I hope to start this course in the New Year.

6 hours ago, RogerH said:

I've just started following you and look forward to seeing your "journey". I hope to start this course in the New Year.

Thanks, it’s a good course, although I’ve found myself well beyond what the technician grade actually covers practically, ie. it’s only a single train clock whereas I’m servicing multi train clocks, and the same with watches, I’m changing balance staffs out and poising balance wheels now, all of which isn’t covered in the DLC as far as I can see so far 

• Like 1