Junghans J36 Alarm Pocket Watch

I have a Junghans J36 alarm pocket watch with a gun metal case.  I'm in the process of restoring it.  I need technical information on its proper disassembly/assembly.  Right now all I can find is sales catalog information (from the NAWCC).  Ranfft also has a couple of bits.  Anybody know how to take these apart safely?  I'm a little hesitant to tear into it.  I also need some info on dial restoration i.e., who might be able to restore the dial.  Thanks!

J36-WS.jpg

J36 Ranfft Specs.jpg

29 minutes ago, DouglasSkinner said:

I need technical information on its proper disassembly/assembly.

Back in time there were no technical sheets, service guides, exploded drawings, and the like. Just a parts list, and not even always. Repairers were supposed to know their trade when going to work on models new to them, as in observing and understanding the function of each part, maybe taking notes where necessary. Nowadays, one can easily take picture at each stage.

29 minutes ago, DouglasSkinner said:

I also need some info on dial restoration i.e., who might be able to restore the dial. 

Some names, and surely general information could be in our pinned topic below. More could be obtained from searches and consulting your country watchmaker or collectors associations.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jdm said:

Back in time there were no technical sheets, exploded drawings, and the like. Just a parts list, and not even always. Repairers were supposed to know their trade when going to work on model new to them, as in observing and understanding the function of each part, maybe taking notes where necessary. Nowadays, one can easily take picture at each stage.

Thanks for your response.  I kinda suspected such would be the case. Taking pictures is always good but as you can see from the plate, once it separates things are likely to fall out of place; nor am I sure the design was such that repairs were ever intended; like old Timex stuff.  I perhaps should have asked whether anyone in the community had experience with the J36 and if so, could they give me some help/info on how to proceed most efficiently.  Again, thanks!  Doug

1 minute ago, DouglasSkinner said:

but as you can see from the plate, once it separates things are likely to fall out of place

Why things should fall? Just gently lift the plate normally keeping the mov.t horizontal in a suitable holder. Yes it has many pivots to align, but if it is to be taken apart, there must be a way to put it back. If not comfortable with that the alternative is to remove what can be, drop it in petrol based cleaner, and oil pivots from the outside. If that won't be enough, the timegrapher will tell anyway.

• 2 months later...
On 11/2/2021 at 11:28 AM, jdm said:

Why things should fall? Just gently lift the plate normally keeping the mov.t horizontal in a suitable holder. Yes it has many pivots to align, but if it is to be taken apart, there must be a way to put it back. If not comfortable with that the alternative is to remove what can be, drop it in petrol based cleaner, and oil pivots from the outside. If that won't be enough, the timegrapher will tell anyway.

Ah if only it were possible to gently lift!  Plate did not come off easily, probably because of age.  Despite using care, a few things didn't remain in place.  In any event I'm now able to disassemble and put it back together with relative ease.