Date of old clock

Davey57

Hi everyone

Long while since I was last here, things have been a bit tough but trying to keep busy.  Someone gave me this old clock as they knew I was interested in these things. I’m curious to know whether the marks scratched into the back of the wooden case could be right. I only just noticed them and it looks like a date has been scribed, it looks to me like ??/4/46. Does this look like a clock from back then?  It doesn’t run, unfortunately the balance has a broken pivot and the hairspring is mangled. If it was actually that age I wouldn’t mind trying to save it if it’s possible to find a replacement balance. I knew where to come to find the answer. 😊👍

Many thanks for any suggestions. 

2975D5FB-E65D-41B1-BEDA-04A4AF8729E2.jpeg

50CE102E-521C-4668-8604-7055E93B63F6.jpeg

E745FF98-F4AB-4A60-B97A-04D68F97AF59.jpeg

Hi Dave nice to hear from you again.  It could well be from the 40's being a Smiths information will be a bit hard to come by but have a look for a site Barrie Smth on smiths clocks      http://www.electric-clocks.co.uk/smiths/  this site contains quite a bit of information. Barrie Smith also wrote a book on Smiths Domestic clocks  (£27) on amazon.  You may be able to discern some information from the back cover  The writing and the notation and couple that with Barrie Smiths site get a close date.

When I started reading your post I thought the date would be a repairs date. No I'm sure it's the date of the clock. It should have a platform which includes escape wheel, pallets and balance complete. You need a platform replacement, I see quite a few on ebay. You will need the right count on the escape wheel, count the pinions and teeth of your escape wheel and find one to match. If your platform has any I D marks or numbers that will help. The duration of the movement is an 8 day. If you can put up a photo of the complete platform I'll look on ebay as well to help you. 

Hello fellas

I had a feeling you’d be the first to respond. Nice to hear from you again and trust you are both well.  

Yes it is a platform. There are 8 pinion and 15 teeth on the escape wheel. There aren’t any numbers but the mark BEC can be see in the attached photo. Other than this damage the rest of it seems to be in great shape for something 75 years old, apart from needing a good clean. 

Cheers

AFA53E15-FDEB-42D2-9E13-ABD71F13F81D.jpeg

11 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Smiths platform BEC

Thanks, I'll save a search on that. 

6 hours ago, LittleWatchShop said:

in the mean time, why not have a go at restaffing, and reshaping the hairspring? Do you have a lathe to turn a new staff?  I am an amateur, but have no fear of trying.

Hi, no I've not got a lathe, I did once try reshaping a hairspring. It didn't work out too well, I have the patience of a saint but found it exasperating. I'll just park it up for now in the hope of a spare turning up on ebay. 

• 3 months later...

I'm still on the lookout for a platform or something to work with for this old clock. So far all I see are these. Just wondering what are the chances that the balance wheel will be the same as mine? As long as the hairspring is good. It would mean fitting a new staff, something I have so far not attempted, but wouldn't mind giving it a go. 

Just to recap, mine has a mangled hairspring and broken staff. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183176296047?hash=item2aa628766f:g:0SwAAOSwOSpe2YeP

It's not the same so it must have the right count which the seller gives you, size of the platform and hole line up needs to be correct for the escape wheel to engage and the depth. Is the length of the escape wheel long enough to engage the wheel. You need to make sure all of this is correct for it to work.