Fossil watch repair

A little background...

My wife discovered this resale shop in a city we have been visiting a lot lately.  The owner had bought some stuff from a watchmaker/jeweler.  Most was not displayed.  That is where I got my Witschi quartz tester for $20.

The guy had this watch that he was going to give to a friend but the watch did not work. So, I said I would fix it for him.

What I found was the stem had been replaced incorrectly and instead of placed in the hole, was shoved under the top plate.  I further discovered that the crown extension was slightly bent.  The watch seemed to work out of the case, but since it was a cheap Ronda, I bought another movement on ebay for under $10.

When I installed the movement, the stem would NOT stay in place when setting!!  Fortunately the new Ronda movement had a stem with it so I sized it correctly, and the watch is now working properly.

I got to thinking...I bet this stem was never sized properly!  It probably had come out on multiple occassions...falling on the ground or whatever and the last time it was inserted, it was done incorrectly.  That is my theory.  Interesting.

2021-10-26 09_58_47-20211026_081918-2.jpg ‎- Photos.png

• Like 2