Tools for forming wire click/yoke springs

I'd like to try making my own wire click springs etc., but the tools that I have are not up to the task. The biggest challenge seems to be making the small diameter semi-circles. One of the springs that I'd like to duplicate has a u bend that is less than 2mm in diameter. 

I'd really like a set of pliers to do the bending, like a pair of round nose pliers, but none of the catalogs show how small the tips get.

Also interested in any ideas for holding wire, with round wire a small pin vise works great, but not so great with flat wire. I'd like to use flat wire for some springs if possible,  but I don't want to drive myself nuts trying to form it without twisting it 🙂

Any clues/ideas?

Thanks!

Well, this plier-like tool was in with the other tools I inherited.  Not sure how my Dad used it, but I think it was used for mainsprings.  That is how I have used it.  It could be used for click springs, although the diameter of the smallest jaw seems a bit too bit.  I show a click spring in the photo for relative size.

I have never seen these for sale on ebay.  They may be found on jewelry making vendor sites...dunno.

2021-10-25 16_22_22-20211025_160251.jpg ‎- Photos.png

• Like 1

Great! I wasn't thinking dental tools, but It did occur to me to check some jewelry suppliers. Rio Grande has pliers like @LittleWatchShop bought,  and their online listings show the tip diameters for the round nose pliers. They have some that go to a pretty sharp point, less than 2mm.

They have a range of prices, from cheap to eye watering. I'll probably pick out a pair from there. 

Now, just have to find some flat spring wire and a way to hold it. 

Maybe a small hand vise? Some of them have a hole through the handle so that wire can be fed through them.

So many tools, so little money 🙂

Piano or music wire should work as spring wire, I think I'm going to order this assortment - 

https://www.howardpianoindustries.com/music-wire-assortment-sizes-0-12/

This is a U.S. supplier, but I would guess that most regions have a similar supplier of piano and music wire.

I'll let you know if I find flat wire.

Cheers!

Edited by dadistic
typo

The way I learned was to clamp the wire perpendicular to a round bar with a diameter the same as the bend you want, then push the wire over and you automatically get a smooth curve. I would use a vice, but pliers like those @LittleWatchShop shows are perfect, as long as you have the right size. The first bend will be about 90 degrees, and by rotating everything in the vice or whatever you are using you should manage another 30 deg. or so, then finish it off freehand with the 2mm bar still in place.

The pliers that LWS bought is a bird beak plier. This has a conical beak on one side and a flat beak on the other side. This works well for round wire but if a flat wire is used, it will develop a conical twist in the bend.

Spring grade wire is very elastic and to get the radius that you want, you have to use a smaller radius former because it will rebound and open up. It is usually easier to bend the curve to a smaller radius, then use the bird beak plier to squeeze the curve to open it up to the curvature you desire.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

I think the mill would only work on softer metals like silver and gold.

I think you are correct, I've seen several jewelry sites now warning against rolling ferrous metal, as it will damage the rollers.  I think the really cheap ones are even less likely to produce any joy with steel.