Westclox Movement Riveted

Hi, guys! This is my first post on the forum as I am new. I hope I'll be able to get some help on here as I've just started my journey into watch repairing.

Anyway, I'm afraid I have an idea of what the answer will be but I thought I'd ask anyway:

I have an old Westclox Scotty pocket watch that wasn't ticking at all. I wanted to take it apart and try to see what was wrong with it but I noticed that it's not like a normal movement. It was riveted. Is it possible to take these rivets out without doing permanent damage to the "bridge", which is more like a cover plate than anything else? Or is this going to have to be a spare parts movement? I can post pictures if you need them.

Thanks in advance for the help!

-Guss

About the only thing you can do with these dollar watches is clean the entire movement as one piece, rinse very well, let dry very well and re lubricate.

Sorry, no, you will do damage if you try to remove the metal riveting leaving no metal left to re rivet. Also, the entire watch is put together as one unit. ALL the parts must be installed at one time. Hope that makes sense.

• Like 1

Yup that's the one! The  hairspring is pretty crooked. and I wanted to see if I could fix that. It started ticking after tinkering around with the gears, moving them to and fro and eventually it started. But it's sounds pretty off beat, which is why I want to try to fix the hairspring.

I'll try cleaning the movement as it is and lubricating it. I'll get back to you when I do that. Thanks for the help, guys!

-Guss

I agree with the posts so far the only way forward is the clean the whole movement dry thoroughly & re-lube.

This sometimes works I have used this method with cheap alarm clocks & it is surprisingly successful.

On the clocks I soak or wash with paraffin & blow dry them. But being a watch use something like lighter fuel as the hairspring must be perfectly dry and grease free after the clean.

I bought a pocket ben as my first watch and the seller told me it could not be repaired. I bought it took it home and repaired it with a set of screw drivers and eye tweezers from frys electronics. It was difficult for about an hour to put it back together but I did it and fixed the mainspring. They are very hard to put back together because there is only one plate to line up all the wheels. Good luck

• Like 1