Date Window Frame - Came Loose

Thats  a bit tough. probably best to inspect the frame for how it was fitted in the first place, probably just pressed in and held by friction. If that fails a little super glue around the hole edges and press back in, You will only need a minute amount.  Rodico can be  a bit tacky.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Thats  a bit tough. probably best to inspect the frame for how it was fitted in the first place, probably just pressed in and held by friction. If that fails a little super glue around the hole edges and press back in, You will only need a minute amount.  Rodico can be  a bit tacky.

Yeah Rodico is quite tacky and was not expecting it to pull the frame out. Looks like it was glued before. Was thinking about superglue as well or very thin double sided tape. Thank you for the reply by the way!

Happens a lot when I'm servicing old watches. Sometimes I receive them with loose date windows or dial markers. I find it safest to reinstall them and put a small dab of superglue from the back of the dial if possible or at the outer edge if not and allow it to wick. 

• Like 1

My understanding is that superglue should not be used in watches as the vapours can cause damage/staining in some circumstances.  GS-Hypo Cement (used for fixing crystals and in jewellery) would be e safer solution, the tube it is supplied in has a very fine outlet tube and needle which makes application very easy.  Apply to back and allow to wick as superglue above, it only takes a few seconds to set so adjustment is possible unlike superglue.

• Like 1

Hello Andrei,

Back when I was in Japan, by a friend's recommendation, I have purchased this 2 part epoxy for glass (I have no affiliation with the brand or Amazon): https://www.amazon.co.jp/セメダイン-Cemedine-CA-121-エクセルエポ-15g/dp/B00476N2F8

But haven't tried it yet. I mainly purchased for camera lenses but it may work for watches too. I think super glue is tricky to use can create a messy situation.

Thank you all so much for the replies! I did get some GS Hypo cement a few weeks back and will try it out. Didn't have much time to test anything yet due to work 😞

I might stay away from superglue. Worried that it will cause more damage rather than help. Frame is not pressure fit in the window unfortunately but glued to the dial.

Much appreciated for all the suggestions!