What do you think of this overpriced piece of ugliness?

oldhippy

I think the UK is pretty well known for staid taste, and this ain't that; probably explains some of the reaction. As a woodworker, I can appreciate the use of wood and grain. Even with thousands of dollars in exotic woods stashed in a room in my basement, I have to say it's a bit busy for me for the piece. Some people will dig the natural beauty of it though.

2 hours ago, spectre6000 said:

I think the UK is pretty well known for staid taste, and this ain't that; probably explains some of the reaction. As a woodworker, I can appreciate the use of wood and grain. Even with thousands of dollars in exotic woods stashed in a room in my basement, I have to say it's a bit busy for me for the piece. Some people will dig the natural beauty of it though.

It's German.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I could see the movement was German and not a lot of age to it.

I'm not 100% sure but I think the pendulum is in the open which means any drafts would impact the clocks timekeeping.

I agree that great quality of skill has gone into making the case, but its too busy for me and the dial doesn't do much for me either.

On 10/19/2021 at 12:10 PM, oldhippy said:

Considering the movement is nothing to write home about the seller has priced it due to that case. The bottom part of the case is completely out of proportion to the top. Which to me makes it look hideous.

I gotta say, it does rather look like someone tried to perch a grandmother (or some other large wall...) clock on top of a plinth that was a tad too large, then added a couple spindles to hold it up.