Elma Watch Cleaning Machine

On the ELMA RM 90 cleaning machine, does the knob for the timer control the auto changing of jars, or is it simply a timer that dings to remind the user to manually push the Start button to kick off a rotation?  The knob on the right shows an infinity symbol.  Is it possible to accidentally turn the knob to this position and the machine not move out of the current position until the timer knob is moved out of this spot?

I don't have the machine with me but can show you a picture of the knob.  

f8oKE2ILSDqtNp5V2tYHZg_thumb_39e0.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening 

After many an hour hand cleaning watches then upgrading to an ultrasonic cleaner I have decided to plunge into the world of a proper watch cleaning machine. I use he word proper reservedly as I know that it is not the latest all singing all dancing vacuum and ultrasonic heating machine as used by commercial watch repairers. It is a step up to my world.

I purchased said watch cleaning machine from the much loved auction site we all know and love however mine has come without the cleaning basket and it has a broken lid on the one solvent jar.

I know that here in the U.K the much loved auction site and HS Walsh and Cousins sells limited spares but paying £185 for a replacement plastic basket/ cage assembly that is not original equipment and fitting it to an otherwise original and in very good condition machine seems very wrong indeed. I love collecting and using vintage and collectable tools and like to look after them and where needed restore them to their former glory. I am on the hunt for a replacement original cage and basket assembly that would have originally been fitted to the superelite cleaning machine. Does any memebrs on this forum know of where I can get such an item? I am willing to buy a scrap machine if it is complete.

If I am skating on thin ice with regards to forum rules about selling I apologise but I do not know of how else to write this post.

Many thanks

Andy

You might check your favorite auction site here in the US. One seller is offering new beaker lids for that unit at a modest price and he's located in Biggin Hill, Kent, UK. I hope that helps at least a bit. Good luck in your search for the missing items. I too love restoring and using old equipment. Many vintage items still have a useful life and deserve a better fate than the landfill.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

All right for using when cleaning watch movements. I always stored the new in its original can. The old cleaned in another can and stored in the shed. Then disposed of according to the law of my country.   I'm talking about back in the 70's & 80's here in the UK.

• 2 months later...

This is nothing to do with me, but whilst looking for spare parts for Elma cleaning machines, I noticed that this vintage Elma (similar to the one that Mark used in his Cleaning Machine video), appeared for sale today.

likely only of interest to UK readers, but it’s there all the same.

Vintage Elma watch cleaning machine.

if such a post is not allowed, please accept my apologies.

If it is fully working then (depending on the price) it is a very good machine. This style of cleaner is manually operated so little to go wrong. The L&R vari-matic is a superior machine as it ultra sonic cleans and it runs automatically.  BUT they are substantially more expensive and can go wrong as I found to my cost.

• Like 1

Ahh... that sounds like a painful experience! I hope it was not too expensive an experience to rectify. :mellow:

I just happened to spot it when looking around. I have had manual cleaning machines in my search list for a few weeks, hoping to find something like Mark was using. Only last weekend, I managed to win on a National Electric version, which was in good wiring condition, apart from a faulty heater (not an uncommon fault on this model). I agree, tat if anyone can find an automatic cleaner, it may be better overall, but I also recognised that for a hobbyist (like myself) an old manual machine could give better results than hand cleaning, so though I would share the link in case anyone else was looking.

The old one I got is now in bits and in process of being restored. All parts are cleaned and the painted parts are due for a light coat of "rattle can Hammerite Black" to spruce then up a bit. All of the wiring was original (fabric wrap insulation or worn out rubber), so that's gone now and I will re-wire it to current standards and PAT test it. Also I purchased a 200W PTC heater from Farnell (other electrical retailers are available :-) to replace the defunct heater. After an email conversation with Elma, I believe that this is effectively the same heating element that is used on their older RM80/90 series - so it should perform as well, if not slightly better than an older (and less safe these days) heating element.

Hope to be up and running but the end of the coming weekend.

:)

Before...

1.jpg

• 1 month later...

IMG_20190728_233754.jpgHi all, unfortunately ,my varinatic packed up yesterday so I need to use my backup . It's a old Elam. It works apart from some buzzing on the motor. The thing does not switch off and playing with the in off switch I get a hint of burning.

I would like to replace the switch , as I'm not a electrics guy. Can anyone tell me what type of switch will work on this machine ? 

Also is there a way I can clean up the motor? 

Thanks in advance .

Edited by jnash