Elma Watch Cleaning Machine

I love those old machines. The wiring is very simple since they didn't use any electronic components, just a few switches and a rheostat to control the speed. I am currently rewiring an L&R from the 60's and there isn't a whole lot to it.

I am also working on a microprocessor circuit to automatically alternate the direction of the motor, similar to a varimatic.

• 2 months later...

It's the same as mine , the motor spins clockwise and anti clockwise automatically you can adjust the time there are 2 speed settings and the base rotates with the dryer heating in the 4th position

B84ECB23-7FF7-4AAD-90EC-23657F710BE8_zps

Do you think its good for cleaning and how old would you say they are.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow what a tread….

I've just bought a Elma Super Elite on Ebay for just 117, - Euro inclusive shipping.
The only thing that does not work is the heating element, but this i find easily on eBay for pennies!
Includes no baskets and basket frame, but I have ordered a complete new set (basket, frame and holder) from Pearl Tools in India for just 30 USD + shipping!

1.jpg
Although the machine I bought is quite nice I would probably still restoring it. For this I have some things I want to ask!

1. Have any of you who own such a machine measured how warm it is in the drying chamber?

2. Is there a thermostat in front of the heating element?

3. For how many watt heating element is?

1 = about 60 degrees after half an hour

2 = no

3 = 10 to 20 watt estimated

The motor has an capacitor to minimize the elektromagnetic interference on old radio's (AM). The old one has tar insulation, which easely make an shortcut. You can remove it.

The speed of the motor depends on an potentiometer which will give some heating of the frame.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Kraai said:

1 = about 60 degrees after half an hour

2 = no

3 = 10 to 20 watt estimated

The motor has an capacitor to minimize the elektromagnetic interference on old radio's (AM). The old one has tar insulation, which easely make an shortcut. You can remove it.

The speed of the motor depends on an potentiometer which will give some heating of the frame.

Omg, thats long time for 60 degrees but 10 - 20 W is not much. Think i will step it up a bit, think 100 - 200W is better, maybe a Ceramic Cartridge Wire Heater Heating Element will do the job. A PID Controller  will keep the heating temp. stable and i think a Over Heat thermostat will do the last trick. Just in case…. 

To be honest my Elma serves me very well in bog standard trim. Although the power of the heater isn't huge, it is more than adequate.

I switch the heater on when I start the cleaning cycle, and then off when the basket goes into the dryer. That is more than enough time for the chamber to reach an appropriate temperature, and switching it off at the start of the drying cycle ensures that the parts don't over heat. Five minutes spinning in the chamber even with the heater off and the basket is still too warm to hold on to comfortably provided it has had 20 minutes or so to heat up during the cleaning cycle. 

It achieves the required result without getting over complicated, which is one of the charms of the basic Elma.