Elma Watch Cleaning Machine

I finished cleaning and oiling my Elma and did a test run with water and it worked like a charm. Im wondering about fluids I was using so far with my cheap ultrasonic - Elma 1:9 and 2 baths of special very clean benzine - it did briliant job so far ( I was advised by a watchmaker about it, and when I did it I was amazed how well it worked, most of my watches is about 100 years old and you can imagine how bad it can be....), but Elma has hitting chamber and it gets really hot - so not very good for benzine I suppose? I have a question regarding oiling Elma - is there anything to oil on this small motor which spins bucket with parts? Also Ive noticed some socket on part which moves on main shaft - maybe also for oiling? I have to wait for few days, meybe my friend will manage to translate manual for me, so it could be more clear.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

It's been a while since I have been on as I have been a little busy servicing some of my watches :)

I have a couple of questions that you guys maybe able to help me with-

I am thinking of making a major purchase (for me it is :) ) in a new Elma Solvex Cleaner and have been looking at the SE but have also been thinking about the RM

does anyone use the Elmas and are they Service Friendly like it is claimed, does the SE clean using rotation and do you think the RM is worth the extra...

If you Guys can help shed some light that would great

My sincere thanks in advance and Best Wishes

Darren

Hi oldhippy,

I have also thought about going down that route as well with a restored vintage model as this would be a much cheaper route, but had also thought about should it ever need a repair and would spares

be readily available..

Many Thanks for your input

Best Wishes

Darren

I have  L&R Vari-Matic that I had completely refurbished & it gives excellent results. As a matter of interest these old style machines ultra sonic clean in all three jars but the new machines only ultra sonic the first jar.

Many Thanks Guys

I will check that thread out SSTEEL .. That's interesting Clockboy I would have thought the cleaning process on the new machines would be far advanced, but obviously not the case, I think I will have to take another look at the older machines again...

Many Thanks Clockboy & SSTEEL

Kindest Regards

Darren

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did not realise the fact either it was the guy who did the re-furb who informed me. Another important point is if considering an older machines is the wiring, the old L&R,s have no earth and my one actually smoked but no fuse in the machine it just blew the house fuse.

The guy who is very knowledgeable & sometimes has them in stock is Graham Baxter 

http://www.delphelectronics.co.uk/contact.html

I did not realise the fact either it was the guy who did the re-furb who informed me. Another important point is if considering an older machines is the wiring, the old L&R,s have no earth and my one actually smoked but no fuse in the machine it just blew the house fuse.

The guy who is very knowledgeable & sometimes has them in stock is Graham Baxter 

http://www.delphelectronics.co.uk/contact.html

Thanks for that link clockboy. I even spotted the type of timing machine I had. It was this Micromat MM1.

Didn't the fuse fit into the bottom part of the picture I posted into where the black knob is. I remember the bottom part was separate from the actual cleaning machine. That was the ultra sonic part of the set up

Thanks for that link clockboy. I even spotted the type of timing machine I had. It was this Micromat MM1.

Didn't the fuse fit into the bottom part of the picture I posted into where the black knob is. I remember the bottom part was separate from the actual cleaning machine. That was the ultra sonic part of the set up

Yes that is the fuse unit but it is ineffective. If you go for a L&R get the wiring checked 

I have two L&R VariMatics, just finished getting one of them running,  great machine, also a pretty simple machine, just micro-switches and cams off one motor in the base, the timer is a bit touchy.

Clockboy, based on your post, you have a working ultrasonic unit for it? I have two, both are non functional, I need to find a repair shop state side to send mine two, I had a look at it, but it is over my head, I was beginning to think they were going into the trash, but maybe I can find a shop that can fix them.

I get my cleaning solutions from Esslinger, quick shipping and good service.

• 1 month later...

I was searching it high and low, and I think I finally found it, and I won it! Here's my "new" watch cleaning machine:

8.jpg

The picture is from the seller, the machine is travelling to me now... Will post more pictures when it arrives... 

7.jpg

6.jpg

It is said to be wworking perfectly, even the heating part and seems to be in great condition! Do you guys think I made a good purchase?

• Like 1

Sweet score mate!!

Just to be sure get the electrics double checked before running it George.

Should only cost you a few dollars if you can't do it yourself, and could save you lots more if there is a short that can be simply resoldered before the power is applied.

BTW, since I am a newbie.. is it a good cleaning machine? I saw Mark in one of his videos using one.... So I really hope it is good..

Yes they are good and very reliable, by using the timer you can adjust how long you want the movement cleaned for and the same goes for the rinse and heater. I think there's a bell that rings when it's reached its time. You lift the pole up in the middle so to rinse of any residue before manually move it to the next jar.   

You were lucky George these things are very much in demand.

Thanks oldhippy, I am even more happy now that you told me these are in demand. The price I paid is way lower than what I usually see them selling for (I found them for 500€), so I was indeed lucky...

But let's wait until it arrives, and if all the accessories are there, and if it works properly, before singing and dancing to the moon...

Usually parts made of cork meeds a replacement - could be ordered from cousins or boley. I also cant see wave brakers and jar lids (also have cork part) - I saw them on boley website. btw. looking nice device, have fun :).

Rafal

Very nice, and no need to worry that the next one to come along is better/cheaper/faster etc. Your's is fine.

With square jars you shouldn't need wave breakers if you keep the spin speed to low enough to agitate but not froth and vortex too much.

Cork seals can degrade, but there is a solution. http://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/2454-talking-of-cleaning-machines/?p=24724

Cheers

Jim