Elma Watch Cleaning Machine

Thanks Geo. Are you think to restore your machine? It is a nice one. I am trying to make one  (DIY) for me, but it's walk very slow as I am looking for some parts and better design.

Can you answer me some questions?

1º- The motor turn for witch way (viewing from motor to jar) - clockwise or couterclockwise? It is because the orientation of the propeller at the top of the basket (my basket do not have this propeller).

2º- Which is the diameter (in mm) of the motor staff? To check if it is the same of my basket.

Hi ssteel (Nick, correct me if I'm wrong). Thanks too.

I had take a look in the electrical schematic you posted earlier and I foun a mistake in the circuit of the heater. I don't know if you are currently about this, but I can try to clarify you if you are interest.

Just tell me.

Good catch.

If you look only for the side of the heater, when the switch is close the heater will not warm as its terminals are short-circuited by the switch itself. When you open the switch (supposely to worm the heater ) the resistence of the heater will be supplied in series with the neon lamp (I believe the circle with a capacitor simbol inside represent the pilot lamp) and will not heat but only the lamp will turn on.

I don't have some more info of the machine but you can tell me so. The switch is the same (two sections) to heater and to the motor, or there are two separated switches? In case of one switch (with two sections) both sides close at same position or it is reversed (when one side close the othe opens)?

No problems if you cannot say, as the machine is already assembled and works fine.

• 1 month later...

Great thread & very informative. Finally picked mine up at weekend. Received new basket & collar today. Oh I also replaced the lids as the Cork on the underside was looking abit tatty. e3dce04692ac3cc88b38dceff296bfff.jpg

The fluids I've gone for are526bfb1b4c32561fdc6d04dccd25c704.jpg

I'll be using the l&r extra fine in pot 1 & the the No3 in pots 2 & 3.

Any advice before I do my first clean?

• Like 1

Nice clean, standard factory finish example there, as to advice, try it out with some samples first, odd parts, inspect before, and after 15 minutes in each cycle, and inspect afterwards, photo of before and after will surprise you ;)

I have changed from Elma to the L&R and to be honest have not seen difference in performance. Just wondering if the L&R last longer than the Elma.

The first movement I'll be putting through is quite rusty. Would it be normal practice to put it through twice, also If I was going to do that, Do you have to put it through the dryer before back to pot 1?

Nice clean, standard factory finish example there, as to advice, try it out with some samples first, odd parts, inspect before, and after 15 minutes in each cycle, and inspect afterwards, photo of before and after will surprise you ;)

Good advice, Thanks. I've got some spares I could put through later this evening. Do you recommend putting bracelet through?

The first movement I'll be putting through is quite rusty. Would it be normal practice to put it through twice, also If I was going to do that, Do you have to put it through the dryer before back to pot 1?

15 minutes cycle in each of the three chemicals, THEN in the drier.

15 minutes cycle in each of the three chemicals, THEN in the drier.

Thanks, took your advice last nite & put an old base plate through I had. WOW I was amazed. I've got up early this morning excited to strip the rusty/dirty 2836 I have & run it through the washer. As you suggested I'll take some before & after pics. Thanks again for the advice.

Agreed. I usually just use washing up liquid and warm/hot water in the ultrasonic machine to clean cases and bracelets.

Tip: If the watch glass has AR coating then make sure the glass is not touching anything else in the cleaner and make sure the water is not too hot.

OK, I've done my first wash cycle. All 3 pots + drier. I've inspected the larger parts & there still quite dirty, so I'll try another cycle & if that doesn't work am I correct in thinking bi carb & toothbrush?

Just completed my first clean & thought I'd give a little share of before & after. I'm quite pleased with the results as I think the movement was quite bad. I wonder if anyone can recommend a more aggressive cleaner for pot 1 if I get any other movements this far gone.

9766fc5d6aac76bdb15d3fda62371ae3.jpg0f842e5605dbc5dff7c1a487b8243ee4.jpgbec31049d6a7dfc5d73613c258cf2a3a.jpgc686983b6e3074bdc0928906ba935e5a.jpg08bec5744b6efd7afec919968a0aca45.jpg5bb380f8938a6b3c9c00529df4280de0.jpg

And after 2 full wash cycles & a toothbrush with bicarb on the stubborn stuff. 180ac93c07f96a75b64c83fec93c6a56.jpg4d3e1dae76c6e4cab9d818f03d669884.jpgffb68253681743d354dfb68182950d16.jpg4e563b53c474c61e2d0d7961db99de95.jpg

I know there's still bits here & there but hope you'll agree it's a vast improvement.

Did you put the movement in complete, and not disassembled? Would of been interested to see some of the individual parts before and after ;)

It was fully disassembled cdebd57f743b9b1a6b66e32af3258d4c.jpgb29debeeed914a9f81144726980952c0.jpgfe977f2df007f816c63fc7119cc42426.jpg and after 9660171fbab827978ff09f0dea67c479.jpg0280bbbd672a7f7cc7dc6fb92bbb27a8.jpg

My only concern is the balance bridge. As I did not disassemble the balance wheel & bridge it is still showing signs of rust.

• 1 month later...

Picked this up today from a local auction house, it was sold as a collectors item so it was untested and the lead cut off .

It looked reasonably tidy and complete and was offered with a "watchmakers bench top " so thought i'd take the gamble.

Paid £50 plus commission , have done a temporary wiring job just to see if it worked and was fairly amazed and over the moon that it works.

So now going to clean everything up and do the wiring properly .

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y253/andyclient/2015-04/D660E7BB-D99A-42D2-8376-59F339DEB2E4_zpscnkyefmo.jpg