Elma Watch Cleaning Machine

I've finally received my much anticipated Elma Machine!

It seems to be working ok, however there are a couple of issues is like some advice on if you can help.

1. The heater is working, but seems to take a long time to get warm I wouldn't say it gets hot. I had it on for about 20 mins and the casing got warm and I could feel the air coming from it was warm. Is it meant to be switched on at the start of the cleaning process?

2. The plunger doesn't seem to work, it drops down onto the jars but I can't seem to push the plunger down. It doesn't want to move at all, am I missing something?

3. How powerful should the motor be? The soe d controller is working ok, but there doesn't seem to be much power, when I have it on full I can easily stop it with my hand, is this normal?

Thanks for any advice.

Paul,

First off the heater should be switched on when the basket goes into the first bath, that way it has plenty of time to heat up. On mine the temperature gets up to about 65C to 70C, maybe a little higher. When the basket is spinning in the heating chamber the movement of air keeps the effective temp down so that there is no risk of softening the shellac. I know that some people switch the heater off when the basket goes into the chamber so that it is cooling down as everything dries off.

The plunger should just push down with a spring detent at the up position and a collar to limit the down position. There seems to be a fair bit of rust on yours so I expect that it will need to be stripped out and cleaned/lubricated.

The motor isn't hugely powerful. I've never tried to actually stop it with my hand but I do know that on its slowest speed, holding the free wheeling knob at the top of the plunger (which on mine is properly free spinning) will stop it. Also, the speed will slow quite a lot when it goes into the goo. I suspect that all it needs is a strip down, de-rust, clean and oil and all should be fine.

Somewhere I have got the instructions. If I can find them I will put them up on here.

Thanks Marc, I did suspect the plunger was probably just seized due to lack of use, the motor speed seems to have got more powerful the longer I've left it on, and it m sure the heater is fine. Think I've got myself a good little machine. I'll post some updates with the progress of refurb.

Thanks

Well guys, I've just joined the Elma crew. Reputed to be in excellent working condition with a couple of accessories. I haven't seen this model before, but as long as it all works I'll be happy. It'll be on it's way from Germany tomorrow, so fingers crossed it's all OK. I know you like photos, so here are couple.

post-124-0-21469300-1421953729_thumb.jpg

post-124-0-05838700-1421953810_thumb.jpg

post-124-0-83054300-1421953865_thumb.jpg

post-124-0-23023900-1421953978_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Nice set up Geo.

I've not seen that configuration before on an Elma with the speed control in the base, and what's the other knob for? and the extra switches? Is there control over the heater temperature or is there more to this than meets the eye, like an ultrasonic module under the cleaner jar or something. That is also a very nice set of baskets.

I look forward to an update when you receive it.

Nice set up Geo.

I've not seen that configuration before on an Elma with the speed control in the base, and what's the other knob for? and the extra switches? Is there control over the heater temperature or is there more to this than meets the eye, like an ultrasonic module under the cleaner jar or something. That is also a very nice set of baskets.

I look forward to an update when you receive it.

Thanks Marc. I'm sure it's not ultrasonic, I think the temperature of the heater is controlled by the different combinations of the four switches.

post-124-0-19441500-1421956603_thumb.jpg

I think the small black knob controls the speed of the motor and the other is a timer. I'll confirm this when I receive it.

Paul, as promised.

3161_C0383 - BA_Super_Elite_GB.pdf

If running it is freeing the motor up a bit then it sounds like the rust has begun to affect the motor bearings a little. I would want to get some oil into them as soon as possible. It's easy enough once you've got the motor cover off as there is plenty of access.