Elma Watch Cleaning Machine

Cheers Mark, so I have wired the lamp up wrong by the looks of it, can you tell me which is heat on, and hear off' position?  Left off, right on?

Heat is on with my switch to the right, but in this position I cannot get the motor to spin, its only spinning with the heat switched to the left, heater off.

Ah, it works when pushed down, and baskets in the heater chamber though :)

Edited by SSTEEL

Yes the heater and light should come on when the heater switch it flicked from left to right.

The motor is independent and comes on regardless of wether the heater is on or not.

Unless the heater is on, then no light appears when the motor is switched on.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Ok, that certainly helps, I need to recheck the lamp  wiring, as I have obviously missed something, and wired it up wrong, but at least everything is working as it should be, except the light, I will check the bulb first, as I have a new one here to fit.

Fitted the digital timer, but not exactly how iI planned, I removed the wide cone shaped base which was screwed on.

15884799157_c9e40236eb.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

And would you believe it, when my curiosity got the best of me, I trial fitted the timer into the circular void, and it was as if it was made to measure, it even clicked into place firmly, and is now good to go, it sits proud, so I will see how I get on with it, I can always fit it behind the face plate at a later date should I want to.

15450894753_e16c2235ca.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

16070561315_b61ba7249f.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

Edited by SSTEEL

I knew that new knob would just do it! Only kidding! :)

This is an awesome project and the result exceeding expectations...or maybe not?, considering the attention to detail, care, money, time and amount of work and preoccupation you put into it, Micky! Superlative results!

All I'm expecting now is for it to lift off and travel to the next galaxy...but then you will be getting the Nobel Price in Rocket Science not in Horology which is not the same thing and not that desirable anyway! Congratulations on a perfect executed restoration and, wow, amazing results!

My most heartfelt congratulations,

Cheers,

Bob

• Like 1

I figured it would Micky, and proud of your achievement. Very few people would have done such a thorough job! It has been a real labor of love and the results better than the original! 

Any project in mind? I'd love to see how the parts come out! Please, take some before and after pics. Of course, I understand that cleaner types have a bearing in the outcome and you will probably be experimenting to obtain optimal results...just as I do! Does it ever ends? I hope not since the fun will be over!

Cheers,

Bob

• Like 1

I will be carrying out some test cleaning first before I start cleaning a complete movement, I want to get a feel for the machine, and see the results so I know what to expect, and what it can do for me.  I hope that makes sense?  Yes, I could throw any number of disassembled movements I have ready for cleaning, but I do want to test it out first, my curiosity needs satisfying :)

• Like 1

Thats my thinking Mark.  Although the blue basket frame fits the old Elma holder, it's fiddly to fit, and remove the basket each time, so may as well get the matching holder.

Seasons Greetings to you and your family Mark.!

Hows your workshop relocation going btw?

Edited by SSTEEL

Sounds like you need to build yourself a shed then Mark.  I have pretty much got my workshop just how I like it now, but we have to move out of aour apartment in April for a remodel, and need to set up in our temporary apartment, and then move back into our home in July, really really not looking forward to this move, I can tell you that much!

Hope you all had a fab Christmas.  I finally got round to fitting my new Elma basket retainer, and oh boy, (Sam Beckett voice), it was not a straight bolt on fit.  That's what I first thought, but after some light sandpapering the motor shaft after removing the old retainer, some added grease, I was then able to slide the new retainer on, but it would not go all the way onto the shaft.  

What I ended up having to do is to place a small metal die on top of the heater chamber lid, lower down the shaft and new retainer ensuring the springs were free of the die, and then gently tapped the shaft from the top until it was in the correct position on the shaft, which as you know is very important for jar depth clearance.

Anyway, onto some photos, I know you all like photos, myself included :)

Old retainer removed.  (If anyone wishes to buy this, drop me a pm).

15962092350_9ea7d64da0.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

Then the new one fitted.

15527067434_2819511625.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

15961963488_6b94c2717a.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

And basket trial fitted..

15963337989_23a6e2f0f1.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

We had another foot of snow overnight, and its still snowing out, temps got down to -18, but that was it for now, its +3 today, and the snow is wet.  March and April is when we get the real cold, -35 :)

May I take this opportunity to wish each and every one of you all the very best for 2015.!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...