Azur inlaid mantel clock

Pluto

We have this clock which has recently stopped working. Bought about 20 years ago from a clock dealer contact who has long retired. I'm thinking of getting an estimate for repair. 

I do watch repairs for a hobby but have no knowledge of clocks but would like to get some idea what it is.

Any advice welcome please particularly about this type of clock, it's movement, whether it is worth repairing and if likely to be expensive / difficult?

Many thanks

20210726_171430.jpg

20210726_171708.jpg

20210726_171553.jpg

37 minutes ago, Pluto said:

I do watch repairs for a hobby but have no knowledge of clocks but would like to get some idea what it is.

I have no idea of much it's worth, but it's beautiful. Good look making the most from it if so you desire, personally I wouldn't separate from it.

• Like 1

Its a french clock , uses a count wheel for the strike. They are usually high quality movements with very fine cut wheels and pivots which are glass hard and will not stand any abuse. Cause of the stoppage is usually the lubricant has dried up and dirty pivots.  these clocks are great pieces   A competent person who does watches could do this one. The same principals apply. It will clean up great.  beautiful.

Antique French Inlaid Clock with a cast Brass Handle. I’m not sure but it could be rosewood. Spade clock hands. Your clock hands do not match they are odd. Probably the movement is I expect 8 Day duration, count strike on a bell. These French movements are high quality and are very good, made in there thousands. Mid to late 1800’s. If you take of the bell you might find a round stamp mark it should give you the make and date of year. The other numbers on the back plate one should have the same number on the pendulum this is proof it is the correct pendulum to the clock. The other is for the length of pendulum normally the measurement is in French inches. In good working order price would be anything from £200 to £350 if you are lucky it might be as much as £500.

No need for me to say any more about the movement as watchweasol has covered the main info on the movement.  

A word of warning never carry the clock by its handle. Its old and you don't know how good the handle is or even the wood. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Antique French Inlaid Clock with a cast Brass Handle. I’m not sure but it could be rosewood. Spade clock hands. Your clock hands do not match they are odd. Probably the movement is I expect 8 Day duration, count strike on a bell. These French movements are high quality and are very good, made in there thousands. Mid to late 1800’s. If you take of the bell you might find a round stamp mark it should give you the make and date of year. The other numbers on the back plate one should have the same number on the pendulum this is proof it is the correct pendulum to the clock. The other is for the length of pendulum normally the measurement is in French inches. In good working order price would be anything from £200 to £350 if you are lucky it might be as much as £500.

No need for me to say any more about the movement as watchweasol has covered the main info on the movement.  

A word of warning never carry the clock by its handle. Its old and you don't know how good the handle is or even the wood. 

1 minute ago, Pluto said:

you take of the bell you might find a round stamp mark it should give you the make and date of yea

Thanks for all your responses. I will be getting it repaired professionally.

Taken the bell off and the stamped number is 16438? Does this mean anything? There is also a scratched number 3781. Nothing on pendulum but lots of mark's on the inside of the back plate.

Here are some more photos.

20211007_201529.jpg

20211007_201623.jpg

20211007_201741.jpg

Those marks are clockmakers repair identification marks and numbers. Don't try and work out there meaning because many clockmakers have their own code.  I don't think that is the original pendulum. That number is just the movement number. 

If you are getting it repaired professionally I would expect to see all the screws have the burr removed and all screws that are blued to be re-blued this goes for not just the back plate but also the front . Any re-bushing that is needed to be done so you cannot see the repairs. All the brass should be polished by hand not by some machine and it should never be put in an ultrasonic cleaner as they can cause stress fractures in brass.  Tell them this is what must be done if they can't do it take it to someone who can. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all your advice. Have found a professional clock repairer who has been recommended by a good clock dealer. Unfortunately, it will take 3 to 4 months as he has a lot if backlog work which seems to be the case with good repairers at the moment. Another repairer who I have used before has a 9 months waiting list, but he is now a celebrity!

• Like 2