Strangely corroded hands following service

Miles1

Hi, Sent my Oris TT in for a service and re-oiling and when I got it back a good month and a bit later the hour and minute hands look corroded, the chrome is mostly off, but the rest of the face is fine. When I asked the guy he told me it was from normal oxidation, It happens over time, although the watch is only ten years old, and well looked after. I can't say for certain the hands weren't corroded before I sent it in, I'm so used to it I haven't looked closely at it closely for some time and without my glasses I can't see the damage anyway. Has anyone else got experience of this? Seems to me the far more likely explanation is he handled the hands and either through his instruments/fingers scraping them and oxidation taking place while he had the watch open the hands have corroded. 

Thanks

Miles

IMG_20211001_124647_999.jpg

IMG_20211001_124819_996.jpg

IMG_20211001_082330_744.jpg

4 hours ago, Miles1 said:

Seems to me the far more likely explanation is he handled the hands and either through his instruments/fingers scraping them and oxidation taking place while he had the watch open the hands have corroded. 

No scraping or hand touching, either these have been exposed to some kind of acid, heaven knowns why and how, or there is a unusual issue of slow decaying in the plating.
If the hands were like that before (which I think is possible but unlikely), he should have told you right away, exactly to avoid situations like this. Even if you could prove that is the case, good luck in recovering the cost of replacement hands from him.

As mentioned by jdm they look somewhat corroded either due to atmospheric or acidic reaction. Being unable to prove whether they were like it before the repair would be tough. In the evevnt they were like it before the repaier should have pointed it out but probably took the view that you already knew. The only alternative is a new pair of hands.

20 hours ago, jdm said:

No scraping or hand touching, either these have been exposed to some kind of acid, heaven knowns why and how, or there is a unusual issue of slow decaying in the plating.
If the hands were like that before (which I think is possible but unlikely), he should have told you right away, exactly to avoid situations like this. Even if you could prove that is the case, good luck in recovering the cost of replacement hands from him.

Yep you're right, I'm not even thinking of recovering any costs, my issue is whether to pay him or not. Since I can't say for certain the corrosion wasn't there initially I'm just going to pay him off and put it down as a lesson learnt. 

20 hours ago, jdm said:

19 hours ago, watchweasol said:

As mentioned by jdm they look somewhat corroded either due to atmospheric or acidic reaction. Being unable to prove whether they were like it before the repair would be tough. In the evevnt they were like it before the repaier should have pointed it out but probably took the view that you already knew. The only alternative is a new pair of hands.

True, thanks, pretty much the conclusion I've reached myself. 

• 1 month later...