James Burton watchmaker

Hi watch and clockmakers,

could someone please check out James Burton for me? As far as I understand there are books where all of the registered? watchmakers are listed. I would like to know if there was more than one James Burton and to see what do we know about him?

Best regards,

Lui

G. H. Baillie, Watchmaker & Clockmakers of the World Vol.1. lists;

James Burton. Whitehaven. 1795. Watchmaker.

James Burton. London (Carey St.) 1805-19. Watchmaker.

James Burton. London (Bethnal Green). 1805-08. Watchmaker.

Brian Loomes, Watchmaker & Clockmakers of the World Vol.2. lists;

James Burton. London, Lincolns Inn Gate. 1811. Watchmaker.

James Burton. Norwich. Late 18c.

Edited by Marc
Additional info
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/term/BIOG66495         

http://southlow.co.uk/documents/The Burton Family of Clockmakers.pdf

I found these for you   have a look if I dig up any more on him I will post the links.

I did hope that my new fusee pocket watch belongs to the James Burton from Whitehaven, but it seems that it doesnt. Thank you your answer.

14 minutes ago, Marc said:

G. H. Baillie, Watchmaker & Clockmakers of the World Vol.1. lists;

James Burton. Whitehaven. 1795. Watchmaker.

James Burton. London (Carey St.) 1805-19. Watchmaker.

James Burton. London (Bethnal Green). 1805-08. Watchmaker.

Brian Loomes, Watchmaker & Clockmakers of the World Vol.2. lists;

James Burton. London, Lincolns Inn Gate. 1811. Watchmaker.

James Burton. Norwich. Late 18c.

So you have these books. Very good. What is the difference between the two volumes, I understand that the Baillie version was reviewed by Loomes, but the information in the Loomes is an addition or a correction? It seems that my James Burton is one of them from London:

I have not seen you page so far, I am going to check it out watchmender. 🙂

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, luiazazrambo said:

What is the difference between the two volumes

The easiest answer is simply to quote the opening paragraphs of the preface to volume 2 (Loomes), which state;

"This book is written as a supplement to the late G. H. Baillie's Watchmakers and Clockmakers of the World. Its function is to complement it, not replace it. The reader searching for facts on a maker should first of all turn to Baillie, since I have not replaced in this present book any maker already detailed in Volume one, unless new facts have since come to light.

This book contains entries of three distinct types: Firstly, makers from about 1820 to about 1875 (later in some instances) - Baillie did not attempt to extend his list beyond about 1825; Secondly, I have included any makers of any period who were men not known to Baillie; Thirdly, I have included some makers listed by Baillie where further information has since come to light that either extends the working period of the maker or occasionally corrects an error."

As you can see volume two (Loomes) extends and adds to volume one (Baillie) rather than replacing it, so you really need both.

Have a look at Watchmender, I hope you you find it useful, although I haven't updated it for sometime due to a whole load of issues including Covid and a family bereavement. I am getting back into my watchmaking though and hope to be updating Watchmender again soon.

• Thanks 1