Janta / Pearl Watch Cleaning Machine

1 hour ago, gary17 said:

Well that went well. Motor went bang and smoked.So now to find someone who can rebuild it.

I had warned before, the motor looked toasted already and had to be treated and tested with care and some knowledge.

Anyway if you measure it and can find a new one, that will cost you much less than repair. Electrical motor rebuilding is another almost  trade, no surprise as skilled labor is charged gbp 50 to the customer, goods that used to cost equivalent of a month of salary are now available for a small fraction of that.

• Like 1

Hey

yer its definately just the wiring so should be an easy fix for someone who knows what there doing.

I cannot replace it really as there is no equivalent motor out there now, there all either to small or have the shaft off center. would not fit the machine set up and accesories i have. But trying to find someone who can fix a small motor no chance. if i had a fleet of submarines or aircrafts or even a few factorys they would love to help.

or a motor the size of a house.

its this damn throw away society thats killing us or at least not helping me get someone to repair it. lol

Anyone has any idea who may be able to help please let me know as googling electric motor repair is just for the big companies.

cheers

gary

Edited by gary17

49 minutes ago, gary17 said:

Hey

yer its definately just the wiring so should be an easy fix for someone who knows what there doing.

I cannot replace it really as there is no equivalent motor out there now, there all either to small or have the shaft off center. would not fit the machine set up and accesories i have. But trying to find someone who can fix a small motor no chance. if i had a fleet of submarines or aircrafts or even a few factorys they would love to help.

or a motor the size of a house.

its this damn throw away society thats killing us or at least not helping me get someone to repair it. lol

Anyone has any idea who may be able to help please let me know as googling electric motor repair is just for the big companies.

cheers

gary

I am trying to get someone qualified to take a look at my Pearl wiring to make sure it's safe and am having the same issue, no electrician wants to tackle a job that small. However, I think the answer is to talk to someone who specializes in "appliance repair", as there are number of those in my area and I would expect this would be right up their alley. Maybe try searching for someone who does appliance repair in your area?

I must say I have been intrigued by this long ongoing post. Some have suggested adding temperature controls or replicating the speed control my “ Janta” Pearl machine (which I own) Basically all are nice add ons but are really not required, providing common sense is applied. You wash for approx 5 mins in the jars and dry for approx 5 mins and that is it. This machine, we which sells at an incredibly competitive price gives the user full control and trust me gives great results. Here is a latest vid on the Pearl which is a higher spec machine that I own.
Basically he fills the jars far to much so he can not spin off and does not use L&R cleaning fluids which will give better results and finally the drying period used is far to long.  

2 hours ago, clockboy said:

I must say I have been intrigued by this long ongoing post. Some have suggested adding temperature controls or replicating the speed control my “ Janta” Pearl machine (which I own) Basically all are nice add ons but are really not required, providing common sense is applied. You wash for approx 5 mins in the jars and dry for approx 5 mins and that is it. This machine, we which sells at an incredibly competitive price gives the user full control and trust me gives great results. Here is a latest vid on the Pearl which is a higher spec machine that I own.
Basically he fills the jars far to much so he can not spin off and does not use L&R cleaning fluids which will give better results and finally the drying period used is far to long.  

Clockboy, the video is the one I made this afternoon:)

2 hours ago, clockboy said:

So, he is me. I used zenith highly rated cleaning fluid and rinse. I did end up spinning the last two jars. Put too much cleaning fluid in the first jar. But the machine worked well. I did dry for 5 min.

5 hours ago, GuyMontag said:

I am trying to get someone qualified to take a look at my Pearl wiring to make sure it's safe and am having the same issue, no electrician wants to tackle a job that small. However, I think the answer is to talk to someone who specializes in "appliance repair", as there are number of those in my area and I would expect this would be right up their alley. Maybe try searching for someone who does appliance repair in your area?

No one would be willing to stick his neck out, in case you get zapped or burn your workshop down. 🤣

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, jdrichard said:

So, he is me. I used zenith highly rated cleaning fluid and rinse. I did end up spinning the last two jars. Put too much cleaning fluid in the first jar. But the machine worked well. I did dry for 5 min.

10 hours ago, jdrichard said:

8 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

No one would be willing to stick his neck out, in case you get zapped or burn your workshop down. 🤣

👍👍Your vids are great watch them all the time. The issues you seemed to have is the same I had when first purchased. You will find your preferred methods and cleaning solutions. For the really grubby parts I pre- clean to prolong the cleaners life.  I would not dry for more than 5 mins thou. 

50 minutes ago, clockboy said:

👍👍Your vids are great watch them all the time. The issues you seemed to have is the same I had when first purchased. You will find your preferred methods and cleaning solutions. For the really grubby parts I pre- clean to prolong the cleaners life.  I would not dry for more than 5 mins thou. 

Appreciate the help. What cleaning solutions do you use?  How many min in each cycle?  And, I did not put in the balance or pallet fork.  Watch is now assembled and runs well however, if I loosen one side of the barrel bridge.....the fake Swiss RR pocket watch....which means the barrel gets jammed; likely another post.

I have tried a few but always go back L&R. I have kitchen egg timer and set it for 5 mins. The final rinse I only do 2/3 mins. The drying 5 mins. I am a bit worried about reports that shellac is damaged as I have had no issues. I did watch your vid on the fake pocket watch a new one for me. Still not sure how the hands are set some have button that has to be pressed to set the hands but cannot see one or is the spring not fitted correctly. 

On 11/8/2021 at 10:12 AM, clockboy said:

I have tried a few but always go back L&R. I have kitchen egg timer and set it for 5 mins. The final rinse I only do 2/3 mins. The drying 5 mins. I am a bit worried about reports that shellac is damaged as I have had no issues. I did watch your vid on the fake pocket watch a new one for me. Still not sure how the hands are set some have button that has to be pressed to set the hands but cannot see one or is the spring not fitted correctly. 

Fixed it and now it is working well.  there is a rocker with two gears on either side where a spring is used to push the gear towards the mainspring ratchet and if you reverse the wind, the other setting gear pushes toward the Minutes wheel.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

Hope you're all doing well.

Just thought I'd add a little update.

I swapped out the UK plug I'd originally used with and "Active RCD" plug (Residual Current Device), these are designed to cut off power in about 40 milliseconds if there is an imbalance in power consumption between the live and neutral. By imbalance, I mean a human in the process of getting a shock. I replaced the 13 amp fuse with a 3 amp.

As already mentioned, where possible you should match the fuse in the plug with the max amps of the attached device, so if there's suddenly more amps used, the fuse blows, not the expensive thing attached to it. 

I've also piggybacked this onto a surge protector as a "belt and braces" approach.

Finally, I don't think my heater is working correctly. But, I'm not that bothered. It contributes 100 watts out of the 140 watts rated, so not using it is probably is even safer. I use a heat gun on low/medium for the final phase. Being sure to keep the gun moving and at a safe distance of course!

Best regards to all,

Ed.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I've run about 10 watches through my Janta/Pearl machine and during the 1st cleaning cycle on the last watch the unit stopped and won't turn on again. I've left a message with the seller but haven't heard back after 5 days.

I was also having another issue where the arm the basket is attached to kept wanting to not stay in a fixed position. So as it was in the "spinning" mode when spinning off the cleaning/rinsing solution, the arm would quickly just shoot to the top of the unit, spraying the fluid everywhere. I ended up having to stand next to the machine and hold the arm in place during the spinning cycles, which was extremely annoying.

So now I have a $600 door stop 😞

• Sad 3

5 hours ago, GuyMontag said:

So now I have a $600 door stop 😞

I bought a 70-year-old Elma for about $150 and it's still running like new even though it looks very worn out. They come up now on then on the flea markets.

3 hours ago, VWatchie said:

I bought a 70-year-old Elma for about $150 and it's still running like new even though it looks very worn out. They come up now on then on the flea markets.

Yeah, I was originally looking for a used one before I bought the Janta but didn't have any luck. I'll be keeping an eye open again. I really don't want to have to "fix" up something though, and a lot of what I see on ebay are units that have something broken. 

• Like 1

I read this thread with interest. Are we talking about a new Janta machine or used.. The reason I raise this is I purchased the very basic model some three years ago and it has washed lots and lots is watch parts and sometimes small clock parts faultlessly..My machine has no timer so I use a kitchen timer. 
I purchased this machine as an interim machine until I repaired my L&R Vari- Matic.
The L&R is still in my garage and to be honest I can not see the difference in cleanliness of the parts between the two machines.

Perhaps I have just been lucky..😊

Edited by clockboy
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello all hope everyone is well. I have been away from this site for a long while and usually reside reside at WUS in the Russian section.

I am to a point now that I am going to start servicing the 24XX series movements and am thinking of purchasing the

Supreme watch cleaner. I have been reading through the posts and have read good and bad. It is a little scary as the place I am ordering from says NO RETURNS 🤨

A few questions on the unit.

Have they improved the speed control to run the motor at a slower RPM?

Is a 1 amp fuse correct to install on the "Hot Leg" for the 110Volt unit?

Would there be an advantage to install a dimmer and a inline fuse on the heater circuit?

Has anyone re oiled the motor bearings yet? are the bearings ball or oi-lite?

Thanks so much your responses will be greatly appreciated, James.

P.S. I would also like to give a shout out to my buddy..... EndeavourDK

Hello Roland my friend I hope you do well, best regards sir.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jimzzilla said:

I am to a point now that I am going to start servicing the 24XX series movements

Those movements are very interesting, fun, and educational to get started with. Good luck! BTW, you might find this service walkthrough useful.

• Like 2