Janta / Pearl Watch Cleaning Machine

Yes, cheapie from Cousins. Parts removed which are large enough go straight into it, and back.

I think that good watchmaking is more like practicality and efficiency than a parade of tools and equipment.

Thanks for the tip! For anyone else interested, here's the cousins link:

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/baskets-pots?code=S39272

If links are not allowed, search for item S39272. They also have plastic tubs that could replace my ultrasonic glass jars (U32211)..

Cheers,

Rob

• 7 months later...

Hi,

'I think Zenith chemicals is selling this machine.  I inquired about parts baskets and I never received a clear answer.  My concern is about the quality of the equipment, warranty and replacement parts.  Perhaps a used L&M would be a better choice.  I am leaning towards ultrasonics.  Buying things on eBay has been disappointing and something I am not willing to do.

stephen

• 7 months later...

Hello

very recently I decided to purchase direct from the manufacturers a Janta / Pearl watch cleaning machine having read a few comments online with users saying they were ok. 

I checked the site out and it says the machines are all tested before dispatch. 

I received mine and it arrived dead on arrival. No damage - just not working. So I just checked over for loose wires and quickly decided I needed an expert to look at it. 

The conclusion from a qualified electrical engineer is that it is actually dangerous for several different reasons and ought not to be sold in this country. 

Mine sadly has a heap of problems, just very poorly made from top to bottom. The seller (director of the company ) hilariously just kept telling me to hit it with a hammer!  I bought it for approx £400 and never have I felt so ripped off. The seller will not help and has stopped communicating and so now I am trying to claim through PayPal  (wish me luck!) 

I will keep you updated with another more in depth post with photos in the coming weeks showing this embarrassing mess - but to those guys still reading that have one of these machines please be SUPER CAREFUL when using it  there are parts very easily accessible to fingers that are wired to mains voltage without any wraps or shielding !! 

James L. 

• Like 5

• 4 years later...

I did search for this machine in the forum, sorry if this has been asked already. I am a real newbie and this is just a hobby for me. I know this machine is probably a knock off, but has anyone had any experience with this machine? It is $480 US.  I have been looking for vintage machines, but they are almost as much or more and I am reaching the max on my budget. I do have an ultrasonic machine for other stuff, but feel this would do a better job overall. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer! 

cleaning machine.PNG

8 hours ago, rdrun51660 said:

has anyone had any experience with this machine? It is $480 US. 

Experiences are above but in any case in my opinion an hobbyst beginner doesn't need a cleaning machine. You  can still benefit from special cleaning fluids properties by shaking jars a little or warming in the ultrasonic cleaner if it has that function. There are 480 times better ways to spend $480 in tools, like a color timegraher, or a pressure tester for example, and you will still have cash left for more.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

In 2016 my L&R varamatic broke and at the time I had a lot of watches to clean so in desperation I purchased a Pearl watch cleaning machine. I don’t know if they are still available but it is still running today without any faults and my L & R is still in the garage waiting repair. This vid is not good that’s why I never published it but you can see how basic the machine is but trust me it gives me very good results considering I paid just under £500 I am very pleased.

• jdm pinned this topic
  • 4 weeks later...

As the machine has a significant amount of metal that you would come into contact with, a type B plug with grounding would be safer.

I believe India would use International colour code for wiring. Which is Brown for live, Blue for neutral and Green/Yellow for ground.

On 10/25/2021 at 6:22 PM, jdrichard said:

Just purchased a Pearl Watch Parts cleaner from India. It is 110V but the plus is a three prong Type D. Need to rewire the plug and install a US Type A, 3 prong. Any advice or hints?

I just came to ask the same question 🙂  I didn't want to use an adapter so figured the best way was to either replace the entire power cord, or cut off the plug and attach a Type B one. I  have a Type B plug on the way so will see how it goes.

Any idea what the difference is b/w the "Supreme" version and the regular one?

BTW, is the green ground wire supposed to have bare wire exposed like this:

3.jpg

Edited by GuyMontag

Just picked up a Pearl Watch Cleaning Machine from India. Looks good and needed to flip the plug to Type B North America. 
Question I have is will the heater in the last stage of cleaning loosen the shellac on the pallet fork jewels or the impulse jewel. And, do I put the balance cock with balance and lower plate all installed, or do I strip down the balance. Don’t want to damage the hairspring.

B7AD6DBF-498D-4EBE-996B-B76B65A46B4F.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Purchased one three years ago and still doing a great job. The model I purchased has no timer so I just use a kitchen egg timer. 5 mins per cycle and everything comes out really sparkly if it has a weak point the heater is not fanned it is just a hot chamber but providing you switch it on before the cleaning it works just fine. My broken L&R still sits in my garage, I spent over £1000 on its refurbishment and it is a great machine but clean is clean. 
PS the L&R baskets fit as well. 

Hi All

I just purchased one of these pearl cleaning machines from a dealer in India.

Be careful of the wiring and I would urge you to inspect the wiring to all components. The wire used in mine was too small a cross sectional area for machine wiring. I have changed the wire for tri-rated panel wiring that has a break down voltage in excess of 600 volt. I noticed the mains lead had cable colours of RED BLACK and GREEN for live neutral and earth. There was no rating data on the outside sheath so I have replaced the mains lead with 1.00mmsq. 3 core flex with Brown Blue and Green/yellow for live neutral and earth. On closer inspection the cables are not routed or fixed just a rats nest. I have slid heat resistant sleeving over the cables and saddled them to the base. The connectors used are also substandard so I fitted a 240 volt rated connector rail similar to that found in boiler junction boxes and terminated all cables properly using boot lace ferules. I also noticed the earth wire was not secured properly with a ring crimp. It was wrapped around a fixing screw and most of the cores had been severed by the screw head. I have fitted a ring crimp to all earth wires and now consider the machine to be safe to use. If anyone wants details on how to get their machine safe please ask.

Edited by Colditz
  • Like 5

On 10/28/2021 at 1:10 AM, GuyMontag said:

I just came to ask the same question 🙂  I didn't want to use an adapter so figured the best way was to either replace the entire power cord, or cut off the plug and attach a Type B one. I  have a Type B plug on the way so will see how it goes.

Any idea what the difference is b/w the "Supreme" version and the regular one?

BTW, is the green ground wire supposed to have bare wire exposed like this:

3.jpg

Replace the mains cable and fit a ring crimp to the earth wire. Please see my write up on the one I bought from a dealer in India. Mine looked like yours and it was not safe to use electrically speaking.

On 9/27/2021 at 8:18 AM, clockboy said:

In 2016 my L&R varamatic broke and at the time I had a lot of watches to clean so in desperation I purchased a Pearl watch cleaning machine. I don’t know if they are still available but it is still running today without any faults and my L & R is still in the garage waiting repair. This vid is not good that’s why I never published it but you can see how basic the machine is but trust me it gives me very good results considering I paid just under £500 I am very pleased.

Hi Clock boy. I recently got one of these with a motor timer The heater is not subject to the timer. When heating do you use the motor rotation or just rest the basket in the heater chamber with no rotation?

17 minutes ago, Colditz said:

Hi All

I just purchased one of these pearl cleaning machines from a dealer in India.

Be careful of the wiring and I would urge you to inspect the wiring to all components. The wire used in mine was too small a cross sectional area for machine wiring. I have changed the wire for tri-rated panel wiring that has a break down voltage in excess of 600 volt. I noticed the mains lead had cable colours of RED BLACK and GREEN for live neutral and earth. There was no rating data on the outside sheath so I have replaced the mains lead with 1.00mmsq. 3 core flex with Brown Blue and Green/yellow for live neutral and earth. On closer inspection the cables are not routed or fixed just a rats nest. I have slid heat resistant sleeving over the cables and saddled them to the base. The connectors used are also substandard so I fitted a 240 volt rated connector rail similar to that found in boiler junction boxes and terminated all cables properly using boot lace ferules. I also noticed the earth wire was not secured properly with a ring crimp. It was wrapped around a fixing screw and most of the cores had been severed by the screw head. I have fitted a ring crimp to all earth wires and now consider the machine to be safe to use. If anyone wants details on how to get their machine safe please ask.

I meant to add I am an electrical engineer.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Colditz said:

I meant to add I am an electrical engineer.

I guess that helps! 😄 I'll get back to you, or hire an electrical engineer, should I ever buy one of these. Got my 70 year old ELMA, and I wouldn't be surprised if it runs for another 70 years!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, jdrichard said:

So am I 🙂

no one answered my question

My mentor taught me to reassemble the balance onto the main plate, with the jewels in place and run the cleaning machine for 5 minutes per pot and a 2 minute spin dry cycle between each pot. 

Final drying is 5 minutes with medium speed spin to circulate the hot air. The shellac came out fine.

• Like 2