Another toy has been added to my workshop

Another toy has been added to my workshop.A AmScope (SE400-Z) 10X-20X LED Binocular Stereo Microscope Boom Arm + LED Gooseneck. It was supplied with two pairs of eyepieces wide field WF10X and WF20X.The reason for this latest purchase is I have a issue with my back and it is suspected it is a condition named spondylitis. There is no medical cure just various pills and exercises to help but stooping over a workbench for long periods becomes very painful and without doubt aggravates it.  So the idea (which was recommended on the YouTube site Choroglide) being less stooping by using a microscope and this particular scope has a large working distance of 9” although in reality 8”.  But nevertheless I can now work and inspect watch movements with a better posture. Early days yet but it seems to be making a big difference. I have now ordered a pair of WF5X eyepieces which will give an even wider view.

I am now the owner of three microscopes. I have a Bausch & Lomb stereo microscope which has really good magnification if required over my lathe for fine work such as balance staff work. My workbench has now two microscopes an Olympus stereo microscope with a magnified light source via a fibre optic cable to a ring light. This scope has superb clear lenses and can also give incredible magnifications. But a very short working height hence the latest purchase.

The AmScope has good lenses but certainly does not have the same quality and clarity lenses as the Olympus. The light source is also via a gooseneck led light and again this is not as good as a ring light. However this scope cost just £166 inc. postage so IMO it is still really good value and well worth the investment and I suspect this will be the go to scope for most of my work.

21D7FD31-A27E-4DA1-935C-65B95BD8B42C.thumb.jpeg.b7d9e51e10307eb5e1d2d4bcfd42eb21.jpegI

Bausch & Lomb over my lathe.

4F166AE9-0155-4B75-A328-D8EE5C47D0C3.thumb.jpeg.ae0faa92045692d64cadcee700b9b89b.jpegA77110C9-84AB-4CF4-8E44-9A5CFC6649B9.thumb.jpeg.720d559825842dfbd892f7b367693f71.jpeg

Olympus + light source 

750FFE03-29BC-4ED2-A702-304227631322.thumb.jpeg.0f4df6eda998e430816563ed47dea6aa.jpeg

The new toy.

• Like 2

Clockboy I’m sorry to hear you might have spondylitis. That is what I have in my neck and it caused me to give up watch/clock making many years ago. I have to take citalopram 20mg each day which is an antidepressant as my neck locks and it scares the s**t out of me. Posture is so important in the field of working on watches and clocks. Try not to sit for long periods and take frequent breaks.

You may find some Yoga helps with the posture and the spondylitis.

My posture has been pretty poor over the years.  Too much sitting slouched over a computer, and of course I'm not as young as I once was, so my sister in law, who is a yoga instructor has been working on improving it, with some encouraging success. A good physiotherapist would also help, (with similar exercises).

As to microscopes, I have a couple, and coupled with good light, they do make a huge difference to what is possible. Great for sorting out hair springs, and identifying dirt on what to the unaided eye appears to be a perfectly clean jewel.

5 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Clockboy I’m sorry to hear you might have spondylitis. That is what I have in my neck and it caused me to give up watch/clock making many years ago. I have to take citalopram 20mg each day which is an antidepressant as my neck locks and it scares the s**t out of me. Posture is so important in the field of working on watches and clocks. Try not to sit for long periods and take frequent breaks.

Thanks OH I am thankful I don’t need horology for a living. The medics have tried me on various antidepressants but unfortunately I had a adverse reaction with all of them. Pain killers exercise and as you say not spending too much time sitting for long periods. 

I feel for you, I have the other version, Spondylosis, were all my discs are vanishing, I find working at the microscope helps as mine is set a little too tall for normal use but in my case because I have to sit very upright to see it helps my back, so I can do a few hours at the bench without pain.

Paul