How is a Timex Indiglo dial removed?

A friend asked me to fix a Timex Indiglo watch that belonged to his recently-deceased father.  Were it not for the sentiment, it would not be worth it.

The movement appears to be dead, but that is not a problem because I have several that I recently bought for $2 apiece.

However, to maintain the same dial, I need to switch dials from the bad movement to the good movement.

Before I dive in, I wanted to see if this were even possible.  I am sure @JerseyMowill have an answer for me!!

My fear is that the indiglo electronics is integrated with the dial.

My understanding is that the dial is coated with a compound of zinc sulfide mixed with copper, a substance which becomes luminescent when an electrical charge is applied.  so there are no electronic on the dial itself.  And to add I've never swapped a movement in on of these. So that is about all I can add.

• Like 1

I have repaired one of these time ago. I learned that Timex never made available replacement stems and not even the entire module, just the first would have saved me quite some effort. Evidently a deliberate choice to sell more new watches. I whish the consumers knew about this kind of things and avoid the brand (sometime a no brand) entirely.

Yeah on further inspection, it is clear that the module is not intended to come apart.  It is fastened together by melted plastic pins.

I was able to bring this movement alive using my demagnitizer to spin up the rotor and train.  That seemed to loosen things up.  The watch is assembled...will monitor.

• Like 1