Bulova Seaking Automatic

steve1811uk

Hi, Need a little help with this watch. Got talking to my neighbor who is in his 80s. Told me he had an old American watch sat in his drawer for the last eighty years. To cut a long story short it turned out to be a Bulova Seaking Automatic. Looks to be 50s or 60s to me. Just need a little help regarding servicing. Any idea what the movement is? Just days 11BLACD on the rotor. Also how to get the rotor off? Watch is running but needs a clean and service. Looking forward to presenting this back to my neighbor as it was an anniversary present all those years ago.

IMG_20210918_151438871.jpg

IMG_20210918_151509130_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210918_152138640_HDR.jpg

Hi there are references to this watch on the dr Roland Ranff web site, google Ranfft Bulova 11blacd to bring up the page. also attached id the parts sheet. actualservice data is scarce un less some member has a copy of the service douments available to share.  If you move the rotor round I think there is a screw and plate to remobe allowing the rotor to lift off.

Bulova_Bulova 11BLA etc.pdf

28 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Hi there are references to this watch on the dr Roland Ranff web site, google Ranfft Bulova 11blacd to bring up the page. also attached id the parts sheet. actualservice data is scarce un less some member has a copy of the service douments available to share.  If you move the rotor round I think there is a screw and plate to remobe allowing the rotor to lift off.

Bulova_Bulova 11BLA etc.pdf 1.03 MB · 0 downloads

Thank you. Any idea how to remove this wheel, to deattach it from the wheel on the other side of the bridge?

Screenshot_20210918-170924.png

Thanks everyone for the help. I don't have the puller tool but I think that I can proceed without pulling the two apart. I'm going to first fit the centre wheel to the underside of the top bridge (with the driver wheel in place, not separated). Then drop that down over the escape wheel and fourth wheel. Better that then risk trying to separate them without the correct tools.

Well, I have an update. After cleaning and rinsing in the ultrasonic the two wheels have separated by themselves. So now I have another question. How are they fixed back together? Can a simple hand pusher be used, same one that would be used for fitting the seconds hand? How tightly should the wheel be fitted, how hard to push? Should the wheel be pushed as far as it will go and then rely on the end shake clearances on the underside of the bridge? Thanks in advance.

On 9/20/2021 at 10:10 AM, steve1811uk said:

Well, I have an update. After cleaning and rinsing in the ultrasonic the two wheels have separated by themselves. So now I have another question. How are they fixed back together? Can a simple hand pusher be used, same one that would be used for fitting the seconds hand? How tightly should the wheel be fitted, how hard to push? Should the wheel be pushed as far as it will go and then rely on the end shake clearances on the underside of the bridge? Thanks in advance.

Well, I gave it a firm push from above with the bridge fitted (train wheels already in place below). Same kind of pressure as fitting a seconds hand, well maybe a bit more for luck. Seems to be on OK and there is a bit of clearance below the wheel.