Cleaning Problem

Hi,

I've hit another problem today unfortunately. I was cleaning a Sekonda when I noticed the following on the plate - bit hard to miss really as it was clean looking before it went in and is now filthy (but only on one side though). In case the photo is not too clear, it is covered with dirty brown stains. The only thing I can think may have happened is I contaminated the cleaning fluid. I did notice on extracting the mainspring there was some kind of residue on it (but not in the barrel though). I didn't think much of it and went ahead with the cleaning.

One side of the plate, the barrel and cover, bridges and some other parts are now filthy. I have tried vigorous scrubbing, soaking in one dip and running through the ultrasound again but it's had no effect. It almost looks as if it is part of the surface, rather than something on the surface. I have disposed of the cleaner and rinses, but am reluctant to try again as it may ruin more cleaner. Anybody any ideas of what I could try, or is it a goner? Thanks.

post-373-0-48120000-1430059652_thumb.jpg

Hi chadders,

I've never encountered this problem but I would venture that the metal has been stained somehow (chemical reaction?) or is actually showing (or almost showing) the base metal of the plate. I can't tell without observing the actual plate in person. Have you tried to rub it with Rodico? Any difference? If at this point the surface is smooth and without any particulates that might endanger the working of the watch, I would simply try and live with the problem...other than that, I don't know what to tell.

Just a thought,

Cheers,

Bob

PS. Check for magnetism too, just in case.

• Like 1

Chadder what cleaning machine do you use. The reason I ask is I did have similar issue when I used to use an ultrasonic cleaner & I had the heat far to high.

Also I had cleaned some really dirty clock parts previous & I think the combination of the high heat & contaminated cleaner stained the watch plate.

I changed the cleaning solution & the problem never re-appeared.

• Like 1

I don't now how you do but i use a little bowl in the UL-bath . It's from stainless steel and it work great . I have tried plastic bowl but that took away the ultrasonic waves . And there isn't so much cleaning fluid i have to waste every time i clean .  I can't  see why you shouldn't be able to clean the plate and use it . As long as the jewels are clean . And i can give you a tips .Put it in baking soda . A cup of warm water and a teaspoon of baking soda . 

• Like 1

Thanks everybody. I had actually run everything through the cleaning machine apart from the mainspring, which appeared to have some plastic type residue on it. I washed this seperately and then decided to run everything through the US - big mistake! Same as rogart63 I use small glass jars with fluid in the US. I think clockboy has a point as well, I have noticed in the past that the US can get too hot using the heat as it is not controllable. This can lead to tarnishing, which may have made things worse. I seem to automatically turn the heat on though.

The affected parts are definitely stained, nothing on the surface so I suppose they are useable, just ugly! I'll give rogart63s suggestion of a bicarb soak a go and see what happens. Thanks.

Is the surface actually stained, or has some of the plating been eroded in the cleaning process?

I was going to say the same thing Geo. These are nickel plated I believe and I thought the yellow was the brass showing through.

I have seen this happen in the past especially with plated barrels where the plating actually peels off when rubbing with Rodico.

I had the same thing happen to a much larger extent! I had an extremely dirty watch that I left to soak while I went for a pint or several I then forgot about it and four days later had gleaming gold coloured plates! All of the nickel had dissolved away! I use Elma 1;20 btw 

The photo doesn't show it very well unfortunately but the residue is brown. I'm pretty sure it is a residue as after trying a bicarbonate soak without success I scraped it with a razor blade and it came off. Or at least some of it did. I'm trying to think now what type of solvent I could try on it - something strong preferably!

Me too, Mark! At first, I thought it was showing the base metal (as in my original post) but gave it a shot as chemical reaction (and there you have it, elma at work)...I'm glad the elma problem came up!

I've been using L&R for a while and everything comes out all right from my cheap ultrasonic.

By the way, do the Zenith cleaners have any of those side effects? I'm about to experiment with their stuff so any thoughts/info will be appreciated since they are not cheap. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Bob

This is using L&R products. However, as I said in my op (and I now see may not have been clear) I think I contaminated the fluid. When I took the mainspring out of the barrel it had a plastic feel to it and some substance peeled off it. I then put everything apart from the ms in the cleaning machine, and it all came out fine. I cleaned the ms seperately with one dip. I then put everything, including the ms, through the ultrasound. This is where whatever happened, happened.

I believe the new springs (it still might have been new on a vintage watch due to previous repair) come with a coating and it is not necessary to oil their surfaces...maybe that coating was coming off and screw up your solutions! In any case, I believe that from now on, my main springs will go either separate or hand cleaned, just in case!