my elgin pocket watch

Pretty!   I have a soft spot for old Elgins too.  I have a grade 339 that I carry often, and a grade 94 that I've had for decades.  Welcome to the forum, by the way.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KarlvonKoln said:

Pretty!   I have a soft spot for old Elgins too.  I have a grade 339 that I carry often, and a grade 94 that I've had for decades.  Welcome to the forum, by the way.

thanks i have had a couple elgin watches some of them have been stolen from me too

and do you collect Verge Fusee Pocket watches 

56 minutes ago, adenfulton said:

and do you collect Verge Fusee Pocket watches 

I wish I could afford to.  Most of the antique watches I have, I bought for cheap because they did not run, so I repaired them.  But nearly all the verge & fuseé watches, even in non-running state, have been more than I could afford thus far. 

2 minutes ago, KarlvonKoln said:

I wish I could afford to.  Most of the antique watches I have, I bought for cheap because they did not run, so I repaired them.  But nearly all the verge & fuseé watches, even in non-running state, have been more than I could afford thus far. 

ah i see  ya they are pretty pricey 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics

• Thank you for the link hippy.  My concern at this point is how to hold the balance in the lathe.  Chucks like on a lathe or a pin vise are good at holding simple cylindrical objects, like drill bits or a cylinder of whatever you're about to cut into. But a balance is a complex surface and I'm having trouble envisioning how exactly it would fit into the lathe chuck.
    • I am guessing this is akin to tuning a piano and is an acquired skill. One thing I saw on a 7750 I worked on was the finger was up high up on the gear. Not all of the finger face was touching the gear. I thought it was bent and I was thinking about bending it down. I decided to leave it alone as it was working. Matt
    • Bulova Seaking Automatic from 1975 I believe. Just restored and serviced this for my next door neighbour. It's 'on test' for the next day. He told me he got it for his tenth wedding anniversary and has been in a drawer for 25 years or so. Going to give it back to him tomorrow evening. I hope he will be pleased to wear it again. 
    • Normally you would hold one side of the balance staff in the chuck in your lathe while sharpening the other side with an Arkansas stone . This is the type I used and it's what you need. https://www.hswalsh.com/product/arkansas-stone-type-triangular-size-92mm-x-10mm-ta75
    • Hi everyone, The last two 7750s I've worked on have had the same issue where the watch will stop with the chronograph engaged right when the minute counter is going to roll over. I know this is a common problem and is usually solved by adjusting the minute counter jumper. However adjusting the jumper did not solve the issue. Either I am not oiling something correctly, or there is an issue with the finger on the chronograph wheel on both movements. I can't think what else could be a problem. I have attached a photo of the last movement if anyone has an idea by looking, as the chrono wheel finger is visible. Both adjustments look fine to me, but I would really appreciate any tips someone might give.