Your thoughts

RogerH

About 5 years ago, before I got into clock repair, we had our grandfather clock serviced (It had not worked for a few years) I was moving the clock over the weekend so thought I would have a look at the movement just see what it was like only to find, what looks to me, to be some dubious bushing! see the pictures and let me know your thoughts.

On work that I do I try and keep it as original and tidy as I can. I've not re-bushed a long case clock before but I would expect the principals to be the same. 

Grandfather Clock (2).jpg

Grandfather Clock (1).jpg

Hi Roger  the obvious thing is the bushings are very visible and stand proud of the countersink so oiling the bush would be almost useless as it would not be retained on the pivot. No oil well , I would have expected them to turned down to the original plate depth  and be almost invisible. What are they like on the inside.(flush with the plate?)

Hi Watchweasol, they actually look ok although there's not a lot of end shake on some of them - tbf, I didn't get too involved but one day I'll get it on the bench for a proper look. To me it just lacked a bit of care or thought. as you say, they should be pretty much invisible! One more for my to do list.

Shocking repairs. First the crutch has had a blob of solder on it to hold it in place. The bushing is all wrong, wrong colour brass, no care in matching to the plate so they stick out like a sore thumb. Wrong depth so no oil wells. Seeing the pivots I would say the wrong type of bush have been used. I would love to see the condition of the plate from the inside. 

We don't have a "before" picture, so perhaps not fair to judge every fault on the most recent overhaul. On less valuable clocks, and in particular where the movement is not visible, I think the aesthetics matter less. And then there is the amount paid for the work. Doing work with a fine finish takes a lot of time.

It may be simple to tidy up the existing bushes.

5 minutes ago, rodabod said:

It may be simple to tidy up the existing bushes.

Depends what you mean by tidy up. You certainly can't make the poor work invisible. Poor skill is to blame here. The less said about the crutch the better.   

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.