A Minor Victory With My Grass

The grass has been getting a bit long the past two weeks because the mower died. (Wife is convinced it's an excuse).

Anyway, I fitted a new carb today with gaskets and new spark plug. Had to adjust the ignition coil as it was fouling, but eventually got it started - it's running like a dream now.

I came in with a big grin with triumph and my wife just says "You need to trim the edges"!!

I need beer :D

• Like 1

Research Octane Number - a measure of the ignition point of an (unleaded) fuel (gasoline/petrol).  The point at which the engine starts to knock when the ignition timing is retarded.  Typically 91-95 these days but some 98 for high performance engines and above 100 for racing engines.  For diesels it is the Cetane Number.

Must get out more!! Perhaps mow the lawn!!

Edited by canthus

Petrol loses its RON rating as it ages.

That's true, my neighbor Ron can never be found when I do the lawn, especially when I skip some weeks!  :)

Just can't resist! Lawn and mowers have never been too high in my to do list...unless the wife pushes for it...then, I have to scramble! :)

• Like 1

Sorted a few of my mates' mowers with same problem when first used after winter lay-up.  Invariably water in the carb bowl.  Normally caused by leaving the fuel tank with fuel in it when laid-up, which then gets water in it due to condensation through changing temps (day/night, warm/cold day).  This settles to the  bottom (fuel is lighter) where it is picked up and sent to the carb (via a filter maybe which also gets water in it).  The fuel will also degrade slightly but should still work after 2-3 months.  Easiest way to avoid is to drain the fuel tank and if possible empty the carb bowl and any inline filter, before laying up, or drain them before starting for new season.  Not had problems when this is done.  Normally this is advised in the owners manual (but who reads them!!!) or as they say 'if all else fails, read the instructions'.  New plug can also help and check magneto gaps as Mark notes.  Now back to my watches !! 

:geek:

Good advice. I will definitely drain the tank when the season ends.

No need to Mark, you can always use this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Briggs-Stratton-Additive-Stabiliser-992381/dp/B003374F9E

Diesel is worse than petrol for going bad. It is easy to tell as it starts to smell like old turpentine that you left paint brushes in and forgot about.

Good idea Geo to fill tank, but not sure addiive will help stop condensation if tank not full.  Main problem is carburettor bowl.  This will also suffer condensation but petrol will evaporate and leave water and residues, which just gets churned-up when the fuel is re-introduced. Residues can also block carb jets.  Normally an easy job to remove carb bowl and empty, worst will require new seal.  Electric mowers work first time,  :thumbsu:  !

Good idea Geo to fill tank, but not sure addiive will help stop condensation if tank not full. Main problem is carburettor bowl.

The additive is to stop the degradation of the fuel, not condensation. You are right about fuel in the carb being an issue, I always shut the fuel off and keep the motor running until the carb is empty. The residual heat in the engine evaporates what little petrol is left.

I have been doing this with my vintage bikes for years and have had no problems starting them after the winter lay up.

That's a museum item Geo, almost as old as me.

What my neighbour showed me is when the season is finished with all of his machines the tanks are emptied but then he runs the machines with what,s left in the carbs until they stop. He is a farmer so I guess he knows what he is talking about.

Hi Mark, sounds like you had a bit of a problem starting your engine............ try starting a 915 honda that someone forgot to empty the fuel last winter, yes me....... what a plonker I was, 3 hours to strip and sort it out..... I think I would have liked to change a balance on a rolex, less time, but glad you got it all sorted..... :chainsaw:

Dave