Lantern pinion

Willow

I have just stripped down a tameside time and strike clock which is badly in need of a clean, when i was looking at the fly which has a lantern pinion the pinion is not fixed to the arbour it can turn freely around the arbour, when i put the fly between the plates and turn the lantern with a tooth pick it turns the fly as it should is this right or should the lantern pinion be fixed to the arbour if that is the case how do i secure it, hope you can understand what i am saying i can post a video if you can't instead of a picture.

IMG_20210829_151947924_HDR.jpg

Take the whole lantern part off. Apply the Locktite red then put the lantern back on making sure it's in the right place and leave it doesn't take long for it to bond. If for some reason you need to move it jut apply a little heat, a hair dryer will do the trick. 

• Thanks 1

Hi i have took the mainsprings out of  the barrels out of the Tameside clock and one of the barrels has a dark substances at the bottom ,which a tried to remove but it wouldn't come off, i just don't know what it is and if i leave it will it have an effect on the spring when i put it back in, any thoughts.

IMG_20210831_170536606.jpg

• Sad 1

Just your thoughts on this tameside clock while it seams quite on the forum,on the front plate where hole for the hammer arbour goes ,they have put a piece of brass with what looks like a oil sink, not that i have done a lot of clocks but i have not seen this before and especically on the other tameside clocks i have done i am just wondering if it was just on this type of movement or have you come across this on other clocks yourself. Thanks

IMG_20210903_084952230.jpg

IMG_20210829_090044616_HDR.jpg

The benefit of that is so the hammer can be taken out without taking the whole movement apart. That hole needs re-bushing and countersinking to form an oil well. No I haven't come across it before. The movement looks as if someone (cowboy) with bad tools has had a right old go, that nut has nasty marks and the screw its head has had a poor fitting screwdriver on it as the head has nasty burrs on it. 

HI oldhippy can't see how you can take the hammer apart without the plates taken apart the pinion on the arbour dosen't  protrude beyond the plate the part is on the front side is so thin it looks like a hole has been drilled and then countersunk I was wondering about the screws two of them were hard to get off like they might have to be re-threaded

IMG_20210903_112808882.jpg

IMG_20210903_112837021.jpg

Are you sure the screws weren't cross threaded. Looks like someone has done a bad repair using solder on the hammer. The hammer is pinned remove the pin and the hammer should just pull off. How do you get on using those movement holders? do you find they help. I never liked using them they were always in my way.  

• 3 weeks later...

It's still tripping so check the lever and the pin in the wheel and make sure the lever holds the wheel and pin. As it's a count wheel strike are you sure the lever that drops into the count drops right down in the slots and lines up with the wheel with the pin. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Willow said:

Hi oldhippy tried one video but no joy its saying sorry unknown server problem occurred, not had this problem before

3 hours ago, oldhippy said:

What format is the video in?

Have a read of the thread below: